I had no choice but to oxidize my beer. Do you think it will be ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer-Baron

Reaction score
So I had to transfer my beer from my fermenter to a corny.

I had no siphon or hoses.

I took a funnel, put it on top of the keg, and dumped the beer in. I'm sure it poured itself nice and hard into the bottom of the keg.

Has anyone done this before? Am I screwed? What are my odds?

Never done it. I'm guessing you didn't purge with co2 first? I'm sure it took on some o2. Carb it quick and drink it quicker. Don't wait to find out.

I didn't purge, no.

I had just finished rinsing the keg with hot tap water if that helps at all.

Can anyone chime in on how easy it is to screw up a beer with oxidization? I've never had oxidized beer.

So you didn't have the right tools for the job....why not postpone the transfer until you have the right tools? I would try to carb/drink that beer as fast as you can!! I doubt you will want to drink it a week from now. Think of a keg of beer that has a pump tap on it. It is only good for a day or so before it gets nasty.

I'm throwing a party friday, and needed the beer kegged today. With the holidays, I wasn't going to be able to get the stuff.

So basically, you think the pouring get that much air in?

You could try bubbling CO2 through the beer to scrub the oxygen out.

edit -- l don't know what you brewed, but you might need to dry hop in the keg.

Yeah you probably did oxidize the beer that way, however, it would take a month or so to really start showing up. Your party is on Friday so it's nothing to really worry about if all the beer is going to be consumed then.

I doubt its as bad as some may make it out to be. Carb it up and drink. If you weren't planning on drinking it for a while I'd say add a little sugar and let the yeast scrub out the o2.

I didn't purge, no.

I had just finished rinsing the keg with hot tap water if that helps at all.

Can anyone chime in on how easy it is to screw up a beer with oxidization? I've never had oxidized beer.

Yes you have - you just did...

Did you sanitize your keg after hot water?

I doubt its as bad as some may make it out to be. Carb it up and drink. If you weren't planning on drinking it for a while I'd say add a little sugar and let the yeast scrub out the o2.

I agree. If you are not going to use it all at party. I would wait until after the party to do it though, you don't want your brew tasting like yeast. You can also still purge not all of the O2 will have been absorbed.

You have a kegging system, but not an autosiphon? Really? Interesting. Drink it quickly.

Latest posts

Back