I guess I'm a drug dealer now?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
edecambra said:
Better yet, if it isn't a hassel, brew in your drive way so everyone can see on a saturday afternoon.

This is what I do. My immediate neighbors know i homebrew but I still get gawkers from people driving by.

Do it out in the open, right in front of the house, not hiding anything, so if they were curious enough they could ask.

Nip it in the bud, invite them over for a beer, or bring a few over to their yard and introduce yourself the next time they're out puttering around. Especially if you plan on being in the neighborhood any length of time. There have been a few poss on here about people being "raided" and having their gear tossed around by the police because someone dropped a dime on them.

Is it right? Is it any of their business? No, but that doesn't really matter, does it?

You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar, a couple of hours and a few homebrews early on may just save you from headaches later.

my $0.02
:mug:

I wholeheartedly endorse this view. Even though I live in a rural area, and since my nearest neighbor is a quarter-mile away this is completely irrelevant to me, I see the truth in it. Best to take control of this kind of situation before it moves out of control.

I didnt read the whole thread, so apologies if this has been mentioned, but call the cops and tell them your neighbor is spying on you while you are homebrewing. Your neighbor will probably feel pretty stupid and it will let the cops know what you are doing at the same time.

mychalg9 said:
I didnt read the whole thread, so apologies if this has been mentioned, but call the cops and tell them your neighbor is spying on you while you are homebrewing. Your neighbor will probably feel pretty stupid and it will let the cops know what you are doing at the same time.

He already called the police and told them I think.its on the first page

People are dumb sometimes, eh....

People are not dumb so much as they are irrational. The outside observer generally presumes that rationality enters into the outcomes that are being described. But reason is only a tool- human beings are fundamentally irrational. It's hard to describe how much that epiphany did for me.....the world fell into place, consistent in its inconsistency, rigorously logical in its madness.

"Imagination does not breed insanity. Exactly what does breed insanity is reason. Poets do not go mad....mathematicians go mad."

- G.K. Chesterton

One time I got pulled over by a cop for expired tabs. It was brew day and I happened to have my Pyrex starter flask sitting in the passenger seat, full of starter, bung and airlock, wide open to see. I wondered if the cop knew homebrewing, because he did not question it one bit. And from his point of view, had he not known what it was, something like that looks highly suspicious. Can't believe he didn't confiscate it.

One time I got pulled over by a cop for expired tabs. It was brew day and I happened to have my Pyrex starter flask sitting in the passenger seat, full of starter, bung and airlock, wide open to see. I wondered if the cop knew homebrewing, because he did not question it one bit. And from his point of view, had he not known what it was, something like that looks highly suspicious. Can't believe he didn't confiscate it.

You can take my starter when you pry it from my cold, dead hands!

If he had wanted to be a dick about it, he could have cited you for an open container.

Or cited for using blue, bold text. Hard on the eyes.

Or cited for using blue, bold text. Hard on the eyes.

rimshot.gif

I brew in my drive way. I also live 2 houses down from the home model for the community. I have my rig out there with all the hoses pumps, buckets, ingredients, etc just brewing away.

It's fun to see all the people who are thinking of moving into my community as they drive by me on the way to the model home. Everyone of them slows down and stares at me. I actually had one ask me if I was cooking meth! I said yes and he just drove away. I spent the rest of the day looking over my shoulder for the SWAT team to come busting out of the woods.

Other people think I am cooking crabs or boiling peanuts.

But I am lucky as my neighbors all know my hobby and only bug me for samples.

But if I had nosy neighbors, I would just screw with them. Start brewing at midnight. Acting suspicious when bringing in my supplies, start carrying my concealed b7ut to well concealed) handgun when brewing etc.

I think your neighbor should move to NYC. We'll fix him right up :ban:. Seriously, when your neighbors are kicking dents in car doors, drag racing and throwing their pants out an 8th story window, the seemingly quiet fellow boiling what might or might not be meth next door doesnt really register notice.

Gather a few gas masks from a military surplus store invite some friends over and once you see them peeking through the fence again just say outloud that your "adding the secret ingredient" and all at once put on the gas masks haha. That might scare them.

I think your neighbor should move to NYC. We'll fix him right up :ban:. Seriously, when your neighbors are kicking dents in car doors, drag racing and throwing their pants out an 8th story window, the seemingly quiet fellow boiling what might or might not be meth next door doesnt really register notice.

Werd up son NY keep it thug as hell

My neighbor two-doors down is selling his house and on my last two brewdays multiple people walked past my house to go see his. The best was 4 early 20's girls who walked by and clearly had no clue what was going on but had wierded out looks on their face. Like you said though, NYC man, no one says anything at all because even if I was cooking meth, it would probably not be the strangest thing they'd seen that day.

You should see what I just got finished up with! Machine guns on 3rd Ave, 'enuff said. You can probably find it on NY1 or 1010.

Yeah and I wouldnt be surprised if it was in a blind old lady's apartment. Or a thug's house. Or the pastor at the local church... thats why I love this place, front row seat to see the freak show.
My neighbor two-doors down is selling his house and on my last two brewdays multiple people walked past my house to go see his. The best was 4 early 20's girls who walked by and clearly had no clue what was going on but had wierded out looks on their face. Like you said though, NYC man, no one says anything at all because even if I was cooking meth, it would probably not be the strangest thing they'd seen that day.

You should see what I just got finished up with! Machine guns on 3rd Ave, 'enuff said. You can probably find it on NY1 or 1010.

Really freak them out, start dressing like a hells angel, park a motorcycle out front, have your friends come over on bikes dressed as bikers. Then go next door and say "I am cooking up my next batch, can you let me borrow some baking powder or Epsom salts?"

Also put your stire plate with flask with your starter in it on it on the kitchen counter and leave the blinds open so they can see in.

When I am brewing, I will have my starter outside to slowly warm up from the cold crash while I brew, so they see my top tier stand with 3 burners, 3 kettles, a pump, silicone hose, my chiller, all my ingredients , tools including my thermometer, refractometer, pH tester, baggies with hops, gypsum, irish moss, etc and my big Erlenmeyer flask. And I usually have a beer in my hand.

That would work, and have your brew club meeting there and make him think it is some wild drunken, debauchery filled party.

Or really get him going, have your brew club have a brew day in your backyard. Se how he would react to 15 or 20 people cooking "meth" in your backyard.

Really freak them out, start dressing like a hells angel, park a motorcycle out front, have your friends come over on bikes dressed as bikers. Then go next door and say "I am cooking up my next batch, can you let me borrow some baking powder or Epsom salts?"

+1

This one would probably be breaking the law (impersonating an officer and such), but when you're brewing and you know they're spying on you, have some friends dressed up like SWAT "raid" your house.

Just imagine how many people break the law on Halloween then. Impersonating an officer only pertains if you were to pass off the idea that someone is being detained or questioned.

Lol we have some very imaginative people here lol.

Yes we are imaginative, but our imaginations are fueled by home brew, not meth induced hallucinations and paranoia

As far as imagination, we should create a half hour sit com based on a homebrewer and the crazy, whacky things that happen to him. First episode would be nosy neighbors think he is making meth and all the hilarity that ensues. LOL

Qhrumphf said:
My bad for not being clear. I like the biker idea.
Faking a SWAT team raid probably constitutes impersonating an officer.

Oh yeah i didn't think of that yeah that would probably F you

As far as imagination, we should create a half hour sit com based on a homebrewer and the crazy, whacky things that happen to him. First episode would be nosy neighbors think he is making meth and all the hilarity that ensues. LOL

That Would one hell of a show

As far as imagination, we should create a half hour sit com based on a homebrewer and the crazy, whacky things that happen to him. First episode would be nosy neighbors think he is making meth and all the hilarity that ensues. LOL[/QUOTE]

That would be one hell of a show

Well I moved to my new house about a month ago. I have the nosiest neighbor ever!!!!! Well long story short last week while I was brewing I could see them peeking threw the fence, the whole time!! They actually took turns spying on me. Well today the neighbor across the street told me thy were going around the block saying I was cooking meth, an to be careful. LMAO. DAMN

Considering you handle is the same as one of the characters in Breaking Bad, maybe you are!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustavo_Fring

I suppose I'm lucky that I live in the emerald triangle where home-growers faaaaar outnumber home-brewers.

Yea sorry stupid spell check. Yes meant to say. Yes that would be one hell of a show

I had a new neighbor move in next door and he would peer through the bushes on my side of the fence at my wife and her friends sunbathing in and around the pool. Next time, when I was there, we saw the bushes moving, I stripped down nekid and cleaned the pool. Next day I cut the bushes down.

He couldn't look me in the eye for 6 months.

brownribbon said:
Considering you handle is the same as one of the characters in Breaking Bad, maybe you are!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustavo_Fring

Hank's brother in law is a homebrewer. It comes up quite a bit, he hands it out to his DEA friends and even had a bottle explode in the garage and thought it was a gunshot remember?

I had a new neighbor move in next door and he would peer through the bushes on my side of the fence at my wife and her friends sunbathing in and around the pool. Next time, when I was there, we saw the bushes moving, I stripped down nekid and cleaned the pool. Next day I cut the bushes down.

He couldn't look me in the eye for 6 months.

Gosh damn you handled that well. You have much more patience than I do.

Back