Greetings from the Oregon Coast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theyeofra

Sungod
Reaction score
Hey hey HBT!

So I guess I should introduce myself.

Everyone calls me Ra, it’s a nickname that stuck from high school (although now I’m in my 30’s and people don’t yell “EYE OF RA!!” across the street at me anymore).

I’ve been a sushi chef for over five years, with a head chef position for the last three. I do a lot of adventurous cooking, molecular gastronomy such as reverse sherification. I like making things myself, so I ferment my own vegan cheeses and make several plant based meat substitutes from scratch. (My girl is vegan and I’ve been eating vegan for a few months as a challenge).

I have a 15 year old pug, and I breed exotic cats called Savannahs - the cross between the wild African Serval and a domestic house cat. As long as the house cat doesn’t get eaten . . . I also grow Lions Mane and Shiitake mushrooms, mostly from oak logs a neighbor was kind enough to let me cut down on his property. (I did a lot of logging in my early 20’s).

I’m a two time WPC world powerlifting champion, and all of my world records still stand to this day. I don’t compete anymore because I want to be able to walk when I’m older. I just stay fit.

I’m a food snob, and I rarely eat out. Why pay out of the nose for food when I can make it better myself for less money in the comfort of my home (Chinese food, Thai, German, Indian, Haitian - you name it I can cook it from scratch). This was the logic that brought me to brewing my own ciders and mead. Plus with this whole Corona thing my options for food and good microbrews disappeared faster than a fart in a fan factory.

So yay! Another project. It’s not like I’m trapped at home with nothing to do or anything.
Here’s a few photos of my kittens, Chickpea and Edgar
59518A35-BED8-43D8-B123-F0B86EC10B20.jpeg
A080EC11-7761-4511-80B3-0DA8AE20DC05.jpeg

I decided to keep these brothers. Being trapped at home made these kittens really bond with us. So I was a bad cat breeder and kept them haha.

wow that must be hard being a sushi chef and being vegan for a short period of time. I think you'll find that being a powerlifter is going to come in handy when it comes to brewing as there's a lot of heavy lifting that's got to happen. Welcome to HBT! :)

Hehe. Not really. This corona virus killed the sushi bar I worked at. To go orders didn’t cut it. And even after the phase whatever you can eat at a restaurant again order the customers were as thin as public pool toilet paper. So no job. New diet! Sad for my bosses. I can only imagine how many businesses went under.

Hah thanks I don’t think I’ll have any 5-6 gallon carboys to lift any time soon. I’ve been buying cheap ass wine that comes in gallon glass jugs that fit a 6.5 bung because buying empty gallon jugs actually costs more!?!? than buying the glass jug with shitty wine in it. I’ve also been stocking up apple juice that *looks like a gallon but is a bit less. So I’ll just be in the “impress your grandma by lifting a gallon jug” category for a while.

Welp, i'm a lanky wimp...hate cats (damn killers always using my yard as their restroom), but i too like growing mushrooms....so we're 1/3...and if you're here working on making it 2/4....lol

Welcome! (i'm the class clown) :mug:

It's a great place to be! The fiancee and I are hoping to take a trip to the coast later this summer, if things calm down a bit. (Not looking too good on that front right now, though.) We're big mushroom foragers and we'd love to check out the wetter side of the state. Snagged about 20lbs of morels and a similar amount of Spring Kings this season, but we don't have the diversity y'all have. :)

Back