I got mine. Who got theirs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xtant

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
SWMBO called me at work and said there was a line waiting for the liquor store to open, but the new limited edition Makers Mark bottles weren't coming out until Friday. She asked if it could be " that one beer" that I like.

I threw a leave slip down and headed to the store. Too late, sold out after 20 minutes. Called around and found one store that had a pack left, with no waiting. I rushed across town and was lucky.

This is quite possibly the last KBS in my area...

Who else got lucky, this year?

1396448748131.jpg

Nope. If it happens like BCBS, it will be announced and sold out in 5 minutes. People camp out for it and i cannot do that nor will I. I will try to do a trade or something because I would like to try it.

Yeah, I'm not even sure how people find out when beers get released. My wife just happens to drive past a liquor store every morning on her way to work.

We just put one and one together and came out with two...

Yeah, I'm not even sure how people find out when beers get released. My wife just happens to drive past a liquor store every morning on her way to work.

We just put one and one together and came out with two...
Facebook or Twitter helps.

I was actually brewing last night and by the time I checked Facebook the local bottle shop near me had already posted that they got some (they were cryptic about it, but I knew) and that it was gone (2.5 hours later). That are a couple tappings in my area so I'm not too worried about getting some. And if I don't, of well, it's just beer.

Because of this thread I called a couple places and one a few miles from work had some so I drove down their and got 2 bottles (their limit) for $6 each. We still have a few of last years. I was saving one from what I bought last year, but then we won 2 bottles in an auction and I haven't had those yet either.

My brother-in-law was waiting at the store yesterday when they opened and was able to get a few. He gave me one since when I am in Vermont later this month I am going to fill a growler or two for him at HF.

:mug:

Fosta

SWMBO is out as I write this (while I'm at work) trying to score a couple 4 packs. She really likes Backwoods Bastard (she scored 4 4-packs last time they came out) and want's to try this one. Fingers crossed! :mug:

I missed the special advance shipment for the GR area and then I missed the actual release in my town. The clerk said they had a couple of cases and it sold in 4 minutes. They had people waiting for 2 hours outside the store. Their second release was a bit later in the evening and I didn't hear about it until the next morning.

It's good, but the only reason I'd work that hard and pay that much was so I could clone it!

Yup got it, also on draft and scored Bells Black Note to boot, which was released the 1st here (GR area had early KBS releases all week thus the 1st wasnt our release date) flew just as fast.

Touched base w/ SWMBO, she scored 3 bottles so far and is going to another place to see if she can get a few more. Three are better than none I suppose.

The sales rep from the distributor who handles Founders here in CT got one, single, solitary case for my part of the state. Maybe when Founders sends out enough to make it so the odds of getting some are better than winning the lottery, maybe I'll care, but for now, no thanks.

The sales rep from the distributor who handles Founders here in CT got one, single, solitary case for my part of the state. Maybe when Founders sends out enough to make it so the odds of getting some are better than winning the lottery, maybe I'll care, but for now, no thanks.

This is kind of the problem I have with this beer and this kind of marketing. A limited supply gives it status. A VERY limited supply can create a backlash.

It's a great beer, but not as great as the price and difficulty in acquiring would have you believe.

They age this stuff in caves under Grand Rapids for a year. It's limited not so much by the brewery capacity, but by the space available to age it. Plus there is the cost of the barrels to factor in.

I would be willing to spend the $$ on a couple to use in tweaking a homebrew recipe, but I will be honest, I think that New Holland's Dragon's Milk is also a great Bourbon Barrel Stout, and it's not as expensive, and it's pretty easy to get all year long.

I'm not saying they are the same beer, but they are definitely the same KIND of beer. There are other bourbon barrel stouts out there as well.

KBS is falling from legendary status, IMO, to novelty item. I mean, it's frustrating see all of the brewery expansion and then see the chances of picking up even a single 4-pack, drop to close to nil, because they also expanded distribution.

I'm also curious about the release dates. Is it proper to release a strong stout in the spring? I am surprised that it isn't a fall release, to be drunk in the wintertime.

It's hard enough in my area to just get their Breakfast Stout, so I doubt i'll be getting any KBS. I will stop at a store here and there, but I won't spend half the day and a tank of gas trying to find the stuff though.

This is kind of the problem I have with this beer and this kind of marketing. A limited supply gives it status. A VERY limited supply can create a backlash.

It's a great beer, but not as great as the price and difficulty in acquiring would have you believe.

They age this stuff in caves under Grand Rapids for a year. It's limited not so much by the brewery capacity, but by the space available to age it. Plus there is the cost of the barrels to factor in.

I would be willing to spend the $$ on a couple to use in tweaking a homebrew recipe, but I will be honest, I think that New Holland's Dragon's Milk is also a great Bourbon Barrel Stout, and it's not as expensive, and it's pretty easy to get all year long.

I'm not saying they are the same beer, but they are definitely the same KIND of beer. There are other bourbon barrel stouts out there as well.

KBS is falling from legendary status, IMO, to novelty item. I mean, it's frustrating see all of the brewery expansion and then see the chances of picking up even a single 4-pack, drop to close to nil, because they also expanded distribution.

I'm also curious about the release dates. Is it proper to release a strong stout in the spring? I am surprised that it isn't a fall release, to be drunk in the wintertime.

Im not so sure about it falling from status when its still voted best stout in the world. But the problem is definately them expanding their distro. They significantly upped their production of KBS compared to last year. I know that the brand spankin new distro area of Tennessee got the largest allottment (behind Michigan) just because they are new. Im a lucky one living in a small town about 30 or so minutes north of Grand Rapids so there were two tappings in my tiny town without much fanfare. The first I went to had a 3 glass limit that was quickly lifted to unlimited because the place was only half full. That being said, do I think its worth it? Yup sure do but I agree there are beers that are not to far off of its tail that are way more accessable. Kinda like a lot of people say St. Bernardus Abt12 is comparable or better than Westy. Ive never had Westy but Ill never pay its absurd price as long as Abt is so easy to get.

It's hard enough in my area to just get their Breakfast Stout, so I doubt i'll be getting any KBS. I will stop at a store here and there, but I won't spend half the day and a tank of gas trying to find the stuff though.
I've found that calling ahead usually works. I've had some stores hold what I was looking for and some don't. But then you don't have to drive around.

Hit one place on my way home, no luck. I "settled" :drunk: for a four pack of Goose Island's Bourbon County Stout.

Mine have worked out, so far. Poured one as I watched Kentucky beat Wisconsin on Saturday. Had another last night watching the Game of Thrones premiere. I'm gonna have another tonight as we play UConn. Then I'll have the last one on Saturday at my birthday cookout.

These are perfect stouts. I don't think it had anything to do with limited availability or hype. They are just perfect.

Back