I forgot to use my hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nathan666

Reaction score
I guys my names Nathan I'm new to brewing, I've read a few books then stumbled upon this great website were I have found lots of useful things thanks to you guys

So basically I bought myself some equipment and I bought a coppers extract kit following the instructions I forgot to measure my og here's what it looked like after 2 days

image-4286945927.jpg

And again on the 6th day

image-1537642428.jpg

Then I realised my temperature was around 17 degrees Celsius so I cranked the heat to about 20 and on the 7th day looked like this

image-3892496891.jpg

image-1708212334.jpg

image-2988634215.jpg

Just wondering if this is anything to worry about so I'm now on the 8th day I've decided not to follow instructions no more :)
And I'm going to leave in primary for 2 and a half weeks in total and then put it into my pressurised plastic beer keg will thi be ok? Any advice thankfully received
Nathan

I would rather have a cool start and a warm finish than the opposite. Depending on the yeast strain, 17° C could be a little cool. I wouldn't worry about it too much though. I'm sure it'll be great.

Cheers to a first brewing session!

When brewing with extracts, you have to screw up pretty badly for your OG to be off the calculated amount by more than about 0.001. So just go with whatever your recipe/instructions said it should be.

Ok guys thanks well my temp has been a bit of all the way through so if I leave it another week then put it in my plastic pressurised keg with carbocations drops should that be fine? Ps; how many drops per litre? This is a 40 pint kit?

I've used the cooper's drops before at a ratio of one per 11-12 oz of beer, so looks like it would be 3 per liter.
If you have a hydrometer you should make sure your gravity is stable over a few days before packaging so as not to risk overcarbonation and explosions. Take a gravity when you think it's done then one 2-3 d later and if stable you're good to go.

I brewed my first batch on sunday and also forgot to use my hydrometer...but its bubbling away nicely right now with an blow-off hose so am happy...

Lol yeh I know at least I've got it all doing what it should be just wish I new a bit more so I new what it does and doesn't need to do but obviously I won't learn untill I try these things but I love it! It's a great hobby :)

Latest posts

Back