i dont want to buy yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robs1642

Reaction score
how do i keep yeast. how do i continue to grow/nurture more yeast?

can anyone direct me to a page or just explain it themselves?

What exactly is your objective? If you are dropping $7 for liquid yeast every batch, there are many avenues to cut cost without keeping a yeast bank.

DeathBrewer said:
many? reusing yeast (pitching onto yeast cake) and dry yeast...can't really think of any more...
You can also propagate the yeast into a big batch (or wash the yeast from a previous batch), and split it for storage. There are two popular options here:

First, use baby food or mason jars to store fresh or washed yeast in the fridge. It will keep for weeks, and if you are really good with sanitization, possibly months.

Second, you can freeze yeast for longer term storage. There is a bit more involved here, but it isn't hard. This is what I have taken up to save on the cost of yeast. From one Wyeast pack, I can brew about 20 - 40 batches.

Another option is to start up slants or petri dishes. This takes some technical know how, and is a bit of work, but you can perpetuate one yeast strain indefinitely.

FlyGuy said:
First, use baby food or mason jars to store fresh or washed yeast in the fridge. It will keep for weeks, and if you are really good with sanitization, possibly months.

I've kept washed yeast for over a year in the fridge. :mug:

And if you're REALLY cheap (or if you are trying to clone your favorite commercial brew) you can reuse yeast from a bottle-conditioned commercial brew.

FlyGuy,

I would like to get into freezing yeast. I think this is the best way for longer (more than a month or two) term storage. I want to keep around some of the special strains that come out each year for a long time.

I've seen a few pages dealing with freezing yeast: http://www.ipass.net/mpdixon/Homebrew/Freezing Yeast.htm
comes to mind.

Do you brew up a batch of beer first and use the yeast out of primary, or do you use the yeast after making a nice big starter?

About the test tubes, can they be plastic like a white labs bottle, or should they be glass. And do they need a screw top or can they use a stopper?

Ender said:
FlyGuy,

I would like to get into freezing yeast. I think this is the best way for longer (more than a month or two) term storage. I want to keep around some of the special strains that come out each year for a long time.

I've seen a few pages dealing with freezing yeast: http://www.ipass.net/mpdixon/Homebrew/Freezing Yeast.htm
comes to mind.

Do you brew up a batch of beer first and use the yeast out of primary, or do you use the yeast after making a nice big starter?

About the test tubes, can they be plastic like a white labs bottle, or should they be glass. And do they need a screw top or can they use a stopper?
Typically, I make up a big starter from a fresh Wyeast pack, then use half for freeze storage and the other half for a batch of beer. I think this would yield the purest yeast.

I split the portion for freezing into 15 mL flat-bottomed glass test tubes with autoclavable screw tops. Everything goes into the pressure cooker first for sterilization. I mix the yeast slurry from the starter with some glycerin to help prevent freeze damage to the yeast. So far it has worked well.

I keep saying I will do this, but someday soon I will post some pictures and a brief guide, if anyone is interested.

RichBrewer said:
There are getting to be some good dry yeasts out there. They are much cheaper and easier to deal with.
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=7120
Yes, there are some really good dry yeasts out there, and they are very convenient. I am a big fan of the Fermentis yeasts, like the Safale yeasts. I have also used Danstar's Nottingham and Windsor yeasts with good success.

I think the dry yeasts are great for American style brews, and the Safale S-05 (formerly US-56) and Nottingham yeasts work great. But for British ales, Belgians, and specialty brews (e.g., wits, hefes), liquid yeast is either the only option or it is superior. I haven't tried dry lager yeasts, so I can't comment there (although I hear the Fermentis SafLager yeast is quite good).

As for cost, splitting and freezing liquid yeast slurry is the cheapest method. Even with the cost of the reusable vial and the extra DME needed to build up the starter, frozen yeast vials are less than the cost of a dry yeast packet. And once you invest the work to freeze a bunch of vials, they are really convenient. I just like having a collection of different yeasts on hand, especially specialty yeasts like hefeweizin yeast or specialty British ale yeasts. Right now, I am about to freeze a bunch of vials of Rogue Pacman yeast that I cultured from a bottle of Shakespeare Stout.

Anyways, I agree with Rich that dry yeasts are a great and inexpensive alternative if you want to have a variety of yeasts in storage. But yeast freezing is also pretty easy, a bit cheaper, and you can store pretty much ANY yeast strain.

:mug:

FlyGuy said:
You can also propagate the yeast into a big batch (or wash the yeast from a previous batch), and split it for storage. There are two popular options here:

Second, you can freeze yeast for longer term storage. There is a bit more involved here, but it isn't hard. This is what I have taken up to save on the cost of yeast. From one Wyeast pack, I can brew about 20 - 40 batches.

Another option is to start up slants or petri dishes. This takes some technical know how, and is a bit of work, but you can perpetuate one yeast strain indefinitely.
aren't all these options pretty much keeping a yeast bank, tho? ;)

Back