I Am NOT a Fan Of Star-San

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I received info from Five Star. Apparently, there is a shelf life.

I downloaded that pdf. Good info.

One year on its shelf life? LOL! I've been using the same bottle longer than that.....much, much longer. I have a 32 oz bottle with about 2 oz left I've been working out of for at least 8 years. I have a new 16oz bottle that came in a couple of days ago. Comparison wise, both liquids in the bottles look the same. The color is the same and even the smell is the same, though the 16 oz bottle smells stronger. The stronger smell might be because I'm comparing a new full 16oz bottle to one 32oz bottle that's only 1/16th full. Who knows?

My old StarSan bucket had been setting around a long time. I didn't take a ph of the Starsan in it even though it was cloudy and the mixture was more than 8 months old. I just went ahead and made a new batch. Instead of the bucket, I decided to put a new mixed batch of Starsan in a washed & rinsed out 5 gallon water bottle. I used filtered water from my faucet too, but noticed it mixed cloudy right on the spot as I filled up the bottle. To be honest, I find the smell of a fresh mixed batch of Starsan pleasant, but this mixture was totally off so it had me wondering. I used it anyways, and fermentation seems to be going normal and looked fine (no infection).

Just to be safe, I went ahead and ordered a new bottle which was why I was asking. The new bottle came in a few days ago. I just hope the beer I brewed isn't screwed up from using the old StarSan.

Latest posts

Back