I Am Half Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksbrain

Reaction score
You are what you eat. Or in my case, you are also what you drink. Today I realized nearly half my daily calories come from beer.

That's right, I normally eat about 900 calories and drink about 700 calories. Breakfast: 200-300 calories. Lunch: 400-500 calories. Dinner: 100-300 calories. I tailor dinner based on eating throughout the day. Then 3-6 beers of 100-200 calories each. I figure average is 4 beers and average calories is 175. Shout out to BeerSmith's calorie calculation.

Today we all went out to lunch at work for a sendoff for our intern. Scouting on the menu, I knew lunch would be about 1000 calories unless I wanted to torture myself with a plain salad while my coworkers indulged in bacon-wrapped beef skewers. So I skipped breakfast and dinner, and had the giant burger with fries. (Though I still skipped a skewer.) That's what made me realize I only eat 1000 calories or less every day, and I drink the rest.

It's worked great, I've lost 30 pounds over the past several months. I'm down under 160, and doing a bit of light lifting to try to tone what's left of me. I just never really framed it like this before. Sort of makes me think...about something...like I still get two more beers tonight :ban:

That's awesome. Basically doing the same thing to keep my daily calories down. When brewing I up my beer intake to a few pints a night. I've even lost a few pounds since jumping back into the brewing game, but could speed that up with a smaller dinner for sure.

Working out is key though. Can't skip that. I look at my pints as reward for my sweat.

Mostly I didn't work out at all. Just went hungry.

"Hunger is weight leaving the body" has been my motto at times

Sometimes weight loss simply from the correct number of calories isn't the healthy way to go.

Not trying to be a troll, but safe bet this is one of those times.

I have a nutrition education (B.S. in Food Science and Human Nutrition), and I can tell you that the balance of what you eat is at least as important, and probably more important, than the amount.

Sometimes weight loss simply from the correct number of calories isn't the healthy way to go.

Not trying to be a troll, but safe bet this is one of those times.

I have a nutrition education (B.S. in Food Science and Human Nutrition), and I can tell you that the balance of what you eat is at least as important, and probably more important, than the amount.

Yeah, I was going to suggest switching to an all cheap vodka diet for better results. :D

Back