I am going to go 31 days without beer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
soooo, is it like in school, if the professor doesn't show in 15 minutes from start of class you can do what you want...what would that be in thread-years? 3 weeks?

w-c-fields-food-quotes-once-during-prohibition-i-was-forced-to-live.jpg

As we approach January. Made me think of this guy. Wonder what happened. Lesson learned don’t give up alcohol for 30 days!

This is funny because I’m in a bet with some coworkers to see who can go the longest giving up stuff for the New Year. Me and two other guys are giving up alcohol, and red meat. A couple of other guys are giving up all meat except fish. Two other guys are giving up sweet drinks. And one more guy is giving up sweet snacks/treats. Each of us are putting $30 in a pot, and the last man standing wins. Should be fun.

Sounds fun. A cautionary tale, this guy disappeared from the forum 3 weeks in or so. Hopefully due to a successful brewing career or something

He logged in a couple weeks ago, he just hasn't posted anything.

I wouldn't have any problem going a month without alcohol. I usually only have a beer with dinner when I am home so around the holidays I often go 2 weeks between beers. I'm not so confident about red meat though. I suppose it depends on how you count pork...

This is funny because I’m in a bet with some coworkers to see who can go the longest giving up stuff for the New Year. Me and two other guys are giving up alcohol, and red meat. A couple of other guys are giving up all meat except fish. Two other guys are giving up sweet drinks. And one more guy is giving up sweet snacks/treats. Each of us are putting $30 in a pot, and the last man standing wins. Should be fun.

Sounds awful...

well, I MADE it from Mar 18, 2017 to Nov 4, 2017 with NO beer, NO alcohol at all !!
How did I do it??
Simple.... I ended up in the hospital with triple bypass surgery, then I had complictions and started to have fluid (NOT beer either) building up in my chest cavity, so I had SIX thoracentesis's, and after that I had to have Decortication and plerethesis (spelling?) surgeries in Aug.
Good news is I lost like 45 pounds and I can even fit into a suit that I wore back in 1993.
I had one of those ORVAL trappist ale clones that I made back in January 2017, and man is it GOOD stuff.
So now, I am strictly rationing the amount of beer as I put on weight just by looking at either beer or potato chips!!
One or two a WEEK. SUX to get old.
On Nov 15th I made a "Northy 12" which is a quadrupple. I might try one on new years eve.

Might give my old challenge an another go: I can drink all the beer I want... once I brew it myself first :D First time fell on drastically insufficient equipment, should be fixed now if I can find the time to keep the buckets bubbling.

I just started 40 days w/o alcohol today. Give my liver a chance to grow back, and maybe lose a little of my beer gut. ;) I bottled some porter last night; from the sample I tasted it will be awesome on Easter. And I have a saison made with 100% pilsner malt fermenting in a bucket that will need to be transferred to carboy soon. It's gonna be a little tough not sampling that one when I rack it.

I am *not* going to post daily updates, I think that's where Arizona tripped himself up. :inbottle:Cheers!

Last edited:
I quite drinking for a month one day!

"I eat what I like, drink more than I aughta, and my sex life is none of your damn business . . . " John Wayne.

The liver is a crucial filtering organ, and i consider it vital to keep it well rinsed with an appropriate solvent source. You DON'T want it to plug up!

If beer wasn't good for you, they wouldn't make it taste so much like beer.

I am right now sitting 6 feet from a man who turned 94 in October. He has drank beer almost every day since he was 16 - Not counting the hit and miss supply he had for a year during WWII. He just spent 81 days in his tree stand this last season with his beloved bow across his knees. He is hiking out to the middle of a huge lake tomorrow to fish some smelt through the ice. He will be dragging his shanty and gear. He is NOT planning on leaving anytime soon. His youngest son was a tee-totaling, vegetarian, exercise fanatic, that sadly passed from an aorta defect at 28. There is a lesson in there somewhere - Life is fickle, get it while you can or something like that. Perhaps a poet can frame it more eloquently - Me? I'm gonna have another! :cask:

I am right now sitting 6 feet from a man who turned 94 in October. He has drank beer almost every day since he was 16 - Not counting the hit and miss supply he had for a year during WWII. He just spent 81 days in his tree stand this last season with his beloved bow across his knees. He is hiking out to the middle of a huge lake tomorrow to fish some smelt through the ice. He will be dragging his shanty and gear. He is NOT planning on leaving anytime soon. His youngest son was a tee-totaling, vegetarian, exercise fanatic, that sadly passed from an aorta defect at 28. There is a lesson in there somewhere - Life is fickle, get it while you can or something like that. Perhaps a poet can frame it more eloquently - Me? I'm gonna have another! :cask:
Well, I think the lesson is moderation, take care of yourself, and enjoy life. Pretty simple really. Doesn't mean you can just eat and drink and smoke as much as you desire...
I don't ever really plan to go 30 days without beer. As beer is the only form of alcohol I really drink, I just try to keep it moderate and never really get drunk anymore. This used to be really hard, but the last year or so it's been pretty easy and I don't have to think about it anymore. But I'm only 34, so, still a youngin'...

I'm pushing 75 and I have one ale (either home brewed or store bought craft) everyday w/1/2 a cigar. Around 1130 pm I have the other and a shot of some good whiskey. I hike twice a week covering minimum of 6 miles each time r/t. Sometimes we have an elevation gain of 2000 feet in say 1/2 mile. I'm no NO medicine from the Dr. I plan to do this for many many years.

I stopped drinking beer yesterday. This is my first full day without a beer and I’m feeling pretty good!

Of course, this glass of red wine is taking the edge off.

I've gone a week without so far, once I started having trouble finding shirts/pants in the style I figured it was time to do something different. Wife has me doing some keto diet with which isn't terrible. Bright side is I can still have spirits just not beer. Once I drop some weight and get to a smaller size, I should have a nice beer stash built up and have broken my need to eat sugary fast food junk! Can I get a moment of silence for all the awesome beer I'll be missing? lol

when I lived in Helsinki, I used to go months without beer, it's easy if any decent beer is over 4 euro's a bottle...

now that I homebrew, I'll drink 3-4 on friday and saturday, maybe one or 2 during the week on very rare occasions.

Thinking about health, constant moderation is definitely more beneficial and will be easier. Total consumption correlates with overall health hazards and it is so much easier to cut consumption a little bit now and a bit next week than it is to struggle 31 days in a row... And it is especially easy to go overboard on day 32 (and then the following 11 months).

Thinking about health, constant moderation is definitely more beneficial and will be easier. Total consumption correlates with overall health hazards and it is so much easier to cut consumption a little bit now and a bit next week than it is to struggle 31 days in a row... And it is especially easy to go overboard on day 32 (and then the following 11 months).

I disagree with the "easy to go overboard on day 32" part. I do this most years for Lent. (I'm a Baptist and I count the 40 days differently than Catholics, so I start a few days after they do) It is also a test to make sure I have drinking under control, rather than it controlling me; I know it can sneak up on folks, and if I am ever gonna become an alcoholic it will start in late winter cuz the weather and lack of light are so depressing. Anyway...

It's really not that hard after the first week, and it resets my palate towards lighter beer styles. The first time I did this, I had a SN Bigfoot on Easter evening, and I almost couldn't finish it because it was too strong and too heavy. Six weeks earlier, I could've had two without batting an eye. (it only takes a few days to get used to it again if that's what I wanna do) I really have no desire to overdue it -- making up for lost time or whatever -- but YMMV of course.

Couple of weeks in, and I'm really bummed that I haven't lost any weight this time (even tho' that's not the point, it should be a side benefit)

31 days is better than nothing and it is true that it can be good to have a check if you can do it. But real benefits and cuts come long term. This holds on many things, not just drinking. Including body weight control etc. It is like a specialty diet or fasting. You can do drink carrot juice for a week or two and you will lose a lot of weight. If you are well focused on task, you can be an extra week on carrot juice. But statistically the risk that everything will come back later is extremely high if you made a sudden change from drinking to no drinking (or from eating to non-eating..). In order to get the best result, you want to learn new habits (constant everyday routines) with drinking.

Latest posts

Back