I am a jack tard...I pitched White Labs Cal Ale V instead of WL 001 (Cal Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GJOCONNELL

Reaction score
am I screwed?

I was brewing this weekend a Hops Lamb Imperial IPA and I pitched, after getting it to room temp, into the chronical and realized as I was tossing the bag away the cal ale V.....

OG 1.087

Am I screwed?

Should I re-pitch a fresh batch of WLP001?

am I screwed?

I was brewing this weekend a Hops Lamb Imperial IPA and I pitched, after getting it to room temp, into the chronical and realized as I was tossing the bag away the cal ale V.....

OG 1.087

Am I screwed?

Should I re-pitch a fresh batch of WLP001?

Screwed...just give up and throw it out...
I would say you wildly underpitched if you did a 5G of 1.087 and only used 1 pack of yeast. Otherwise, I actually prefer Cal Ale V, over 001

Cal V any time over 001. What was the date?

Can you get another pack of Cal V or better yet WLP090? Then make a vitality starter with some of your fresh beer, and pitch it after 4 hours on the stir plate? Rather that than pitching WLP001, which would also need a starter.

If you can do it today or tomorrow, go for it. If not it's unlikely to make a difference to the flavor.

Though if you have a pack of WL 001 as well, I'd be inclined to pitch it in too and not worry about it.

On the upside, Brulosophy did several tests, and found that underpitching didn't significantly affect flavor for a variety of beers. Take this advice with a grain of salt, but chances are good your beer will not be ruined by the underpitch.

Cal V any time over 001. What was the date?

Can you get another pack of Cal V or better yet WLP090? Then make a vitality starter with some of your fresh beer, and pitch it after 4 hours on the stir plate? Rather that than pitching WLP001, which would also need a starter.

I didn't check the date. I can get WLP090 and just pull some of the wort off and run in a stir plate overnight then pitch tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice!

I didn't check the date. I can get WLP090 and just pull some of the wort off and run in a stir plate overnight then pitch tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice!

Those vitality starters really need only a few (4) hours on the stir plate, then get pitched completely. It was a Brulospohy.com exbeeriment, a method borrowed from Coors England.

Just use some of the beer from the fermentor. Wort becomes beer after pitching yeast.

You didn't mention if you oxygenated the batch when you pitched. That makes a difference too.

Before you do anything, check and make sure extra yeast is needed, it may be fermenting already, although at 1.087, the extra cells from a vital 2nd pitch will help to finish it out.

Those vitality starters really need only a few (4) hours on the stir plate, then get pitched completely. It was a Brulospohy.com exbeeriment, a method borrowed from Coors England.

You didn't mention if you oxygenated the batch when you pitched. That makes a difference too.

Nodding to Brulosophy but pushing oxygenation? Living on the edge, I see. ;)

Update went to my LHBS and picked up a fresh vial of WLP001 and WLP090. I pulled off 1.5L of wort and put on the stir plat after I star saned everything and then added some yeast nutrient and fired it up and going to leave running all day while I am at work so it should get 10 hrs or so in. I didn't see any signs of activity on the chronical so I think the Cal Ale V wasn't very viable.

Hopefully I will see some airlock activity by this evening if not I might let the stir plate run overnight and pitch in the morning.

Back