Need Help w/Yeast - How much to pitch for 9.8% ABV?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LampyB

Reaction score
I'm brewing a Russian Imperial Stout tomorrow and I'm having issues figuring out how much yeast to pitch. Won't be able to make a starter because I can't get to the brew store to purchase the yeast until tomorrow morning (before the session).

I won't have access to the yeast date until I get to the store, but my LHBS usually has fresh product. Should I just grab 3 vials of WLP001 and pitch it straight from vial to fermenter?

Original Gravity: 1.100
Final Gravity: 1.025
ABV: 9.8%

White Labs WLP 001 California Ale
OR
Wyeast 1056 American

RECIPE:
Split Open & Melt - Russian Imperial Stout

If you aren't going to make a starter and plan to use WLP001, why not just pick up two packets of US-05 dry yeast? Otherwise, I'd grab at least 3 vials of the 001.

mr malty has great info, thanks for the tip. i think i'm just going to purchase three vials of WLP001 and make a starter at about noon. Then brew, and pitch at about 10pm later that night. That should be enough time to get the starter going to the extent I need.

I'll do the math from mr malty first though, I just don't know the age of the vials yet so I will hold off until I have this info.

Thanks for the help gents.

Latest posts

Back