I added waaaay too much sugar, right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BookofNick said:
Okay, guys, this tastes pretty damn good (18 days after bottling)

Malty and sweet, as expected. Chocolate really comes out. Very thin head (I expect this to increase over time), but it's there. Smell is dark and boozy - think Starbucks Frappachino with added maple sugar. Though more chocolate than coffee. Molasses is there but just barely. I can just taste the bourbon. It may be sweeter than a normal beer but it packs a punch like an imperial stout.

I call it "Maple Buzz Hopless Malt Stout." It may not technically be a beer without any hops, but I put it in the same general taste category as a high-alcohol, sweet imperial stout.

The only thing I regret is not re-pitching yeast to prolong fermentation and reduce the sugar/increase the alcohol a tad.

I'll prob make another future update as the flavor mellows over time. SO GLAD I did not dump it down the sink.

did you ever take any readings? I'm curious what your abv is

did you ever take any readings? I'm curious what your abv is

Unfortunately, I didn't own a hydrometer when I made this. The Mr. Beer manual I have has a rough guide to ABV. For instance, it says a cup of honey will raise a 2 gal beer by 0.7% ABV. It's probably not perfect, but I put enough stuff to make it an 8.2-8.4%, according to the guide. Not sure it all fermented, though. Maybe it's around 7 or 7.5%.

breweRN said:
homebrewdad,

not trying to insult you, but OP is using Mr.Beer extracts which are labeled HME and UME, the latter meaning "unhopped malt extract". HME refers to "hopped malt extract". Mr.Beer wants to make it easy for beginners so they add the hops right into some extracts to possibly kill a step.

A little off topic:
That just sounds weird to me. In my line of work, HME is "home made explosives".

boil it and get some alcohol out of it when its done. Careful though, it might be flammable :p

You can't get alcohol out of it if you boil it. About 175 F and you will evaporate the alcohol and leave behind the H2O. Who says TV rots your mind.......Moonshiners FTW.

I love the fact that this was your first post on HBT!

Haha, Sorry for the Hijack, but I'm in the Canadian Forces. Combat Engineer. My job in Kandahar was finding IED's, that's why "HME" sounds wierd to me when talking about homebrew. Hell, when I went sky diving "IAD" (Instructor Assisted Deployment) sounded a hell of a lot like IED.

Back on topic; adding sugar and other adjuncts just for the purpose of slightly increasing abv % seems to be counterproductive. Me and my friends like the flavour of the beer, otherwise we would drink vodka.

Okay, guys, this tastes pretty damn good (18 days after bottling)

Malty and sweet, as expected. Chocolate really comes out. Very thin head (I expect this to increase over time), but it's there. Smell is dark and boozy - think Starbucks Frappachino with added maple sugar. Though more chocolate than coffee. Molasses is there but just barely. I can just taste the bourbon. It may be sweeter than a normal beer but it packs a punch like an imperial stout.

I call it "Maple Buzz Hopless Malt Stout." It may not technically be a beer without any hops, but I put it in the same general taste category as a high-alcohol, sweet imperial stout.

The only thing I regret is not re-pitching yeast to prolong fermentation and reduce the sugar/increase the alcohol a tad.

I'll prob make another future update as the flavor mellows over time. SO GLAD I did not dump it down the sink.

I have a sweet tooth, myself, and that actually sounds pretty tasty! Tempting to make a batch myself... lol! Is this something you could drink more than one of?

Wasn't ale originally brewed without hops? Was it not one of the great kings like Henry the 8th that made it illegal to put hops in ale because it was make it impure?

I believe people started adding bittering herbs until the churches started to control these as well.

I'm led to believe that herbs was the better solution, but by the time the churches lifted their "restrictions" on herbs everyone had gone back to using hops which were freely available and unrestricted.

But... my history is fairly weak.

Why the heck would this still taste sweet? Did OP's yeast peter out before if could finish fermenting everything in there? Doesn't he risk bottle bombs with all that residual sugar?

You would do well to drink this fairly quickly as you do not have any hops to help kill any bacteria that may have found its way into the bottles. Keeping them cold after carbing will help.

Kind of reminds me of that time at the Vietnamese restaurant. "I havent the foggiest clue what this is that I'm eating, but I like it. Don't tell me, you'll likely spoil it".

I have a sweet tooth, myself, and that actually sounds pretty tasty! Tempting to make a batch myself... lol! Is this something you could drink more than one of?

No, I'd be content with one. As a dessert or something. I would recommend replacing a bit of the sugar wih malt to make it more drinkable.

Why the heck would this still taste sweet? Did OP's yeast peter out before if could finish fermenting everything in there? Doesn't he risk bottle bombs with all that residual sugar?

I didn't have a hydrometer, but I was getting one bubble in the airlock every 3 min. I do think the yeast began to die on me. Makes sense, since it's still really sweet. Looking back, I ought to have re-pitched. Yes, I am worried about bottle bombs, but so far it's been okay.

Some people here are saying I should let it mellow for a year to better the taste, others are now saying drink it now before they all explode, and another says drink it because they are no anti-bacterial hops to protect it long-term.

I'm gonna keep drinking one every once in a while, and risk mellowing the rest a bit - if it gets infected, it gets infected. Might make a good nightcap for Thanksgiving 2012 :)

Wasn't ale originally brewed without hops?

Yes, they were. Furthermore, this recipe, while not a beer, is in-fact an ale. It is funny how people use the term ale now-days, I guess it is simply to contrast it from a lager. Technically, people are brewing lager-type beer and non-lager-type beer. An ale would be brewed without hops. Wikipedia says people are calling them "real ales" now to differentiate them from their modern misnomer.

MoreYouKnow.jpg

But, yeah. From what you have said, it seems that your drink did not finish fermenting. The sugar content was too high and the viscosity of your liquid likely killed and/or otherwise stalled your yeasts.

I doubt this will be a permanent situation and the yeast, as-well-as other micro-organisms, will likely continue to work slowly at fermenting the sugars present. Ultimately, you could end up with bottle bombs. I would be curious to know if the beer is at all carbonated now. If not or only very slightly, this would imply you have a decent amount of time before it reaches a dangerous level of build-up because the fermentation is happening so slowly. If it is already decently carbonated, I would be more concerned.

Yes, they were. Furthermore, this recipe, while not a beer, is in-fact an ale. It is funny how people use the term ale now-days, I guess it is simply to contrast it from a lager. Technically, people are brewing lager-type beer and non-lager-type beer. An ale would be brewed without hops. Wikipedia says people are calling them "real ales" now to differentiate them from their modern misnomer.

MoreYouKnow.jpg

That is not what "real ale" means. Real ale means that it is matured by secondary fermentation in the container from which it is dispensed, and served without the use of extraneous carbon dioxide.

That is not what "real ale" means. Real ale means that it is matured by secondary fermentation in the container from which it is dispensed, and served without the use of extraneous carbon dioxide.

I believe what you are referring to is cask beer. I googled "real ale" to see what the net had to say and found an advocacy group.

http://www.camra.org.uk/

They seem to be a very confused lot as they state both that a real ale is brewed using the traditional British method and then go on to say that is uses hops. It then goes even further to say that it is the top-fermenting yeast that makes it a true-to--tradition ale. If I take them at their definition of it being an ale brewed the traditional British way, I would have no choice but to conclude that it would not include hops.

Of-course, language is subject to change. I guess the common usage of "real beer" would be properly defined as a beer that isn't "TOTALLY SOLD OUT AND CORPORATE, MAN! LIKE TOTALLY!". :ban:

I believe what you are referring to is cask beer. I googled "real ale" to see what the net had to say and found an advocacy group.

http://www.camra.org.uk/

They seem to be a very confused lot as they state both that a real ale is brewed using the traditional British method and then go on to say that is uses hops. It then goes even further to say that it is the top-fermenting yeast that makes it a true-to--tradition ale. If I take them at their definition of it being an ale brewed the traditional British way, I would have no choice but to conclude that it would not include hops.

Of-course, language is subject to change. I guess the common usage of "real beer" would be properly defined as a beer that isn't "TOTALLY SOLD OUT AND CORPORATE, MAN! LIKE TOTALLY!". :ban:

There's nothing confused about it. They just put "traditional" at a different point on the timeline than you do. There was a time when hops weren't used. There was also a time when hopped ale was served cellar-cool out of casks without the addition of CO2. Before either of those things, beer was made with millet left to rot in the sun. That's the really authentic stuff.

There's nothing confused about it. They just put "traditional" at a different point on the timeline than you do. There was a time when hops weren't used. There was also a time when hopped ale was served cellar-cool out of casks without the addition of CO2. Before either of those things, beer was made with millet left to rot in the sun. That's the really authentic stuff.

+1

And as far as common usage - when you see "real ale" around here (and in my post above), people are most likely talking about the CAMRA definition.

Back on topic for a moment...

to the OP - is this beverage carbonated? If so, the yeast haven't quite kicked it and you are in danger of bottle bombs. If it is not carbonating, you might be OK.

Back on topic for a moment...

to the OP - is this beverage carbonated? If so, the yeast haven't quite kicked it and you are in danger of bottle bombs. If it is not carbonating, you might be OK.

I think more to the point is whether the degree of carbonation is increasing. It could be good, and safe, with carbonation but if the carbonation is increasing then there is danger of bottle bombs.

Hate to put a damper on the whole unhopped thing, but the OP said he used Sticky Wicket which is a Mr. Beer HME, hopped malt extract, so he's had hopps all along.

Rotten millet, now that's the good stuff.

Anyway, not to be antagonistic but ales was first realized in Europe some several thousand years BC. Hops were illegal in Britain till sometime after 15 or 16 hundred. Tradition is defined as a long established practice passed from generation to generation. In that since using hops is not at all a tradition and was only realized at a very recent time. Further, it would not have been past generationally but rather from books and or study.

But, regardless, I was just giving the guy a hard time to begin with. Of-course it is standard to call a top fermenting beer an ale and bottom a lager. He stated that I was wrong and I simply pointed out that his source of information on the subject was technically flawed for good fun. If the lot of you want to call a beer with hops an ale go for it, I do too.

Back onto the subject of safety though, it would seem wise for the op to finish these beers hastily. He has already stated that they are still very sweet. We are safe to assume that they are not sterile. Given those t

Hate to put a damper on the whole unhopped thing, but the OP said he used Sticky Wicket which is a Mr. Beer HME, hopped malt extract, so he's had hopps all along.

The OP stated in the opening post that he used Sticky Wicket UME (un-hopped malt extract). Though I also believe he added some hop tea at some point during or post-fermentation.

Sticky Wicket, is a HME, Mr. Beer sells no Sticky Wicket UME.

Their UMEs are named as you would expect, brown, amber, pale...

The OP stated in the opening post that he used Sticky Wicket UME (un-hopped malt extract). Though I also believe he added some hop tea at some point during or post-fermentation.

Wow, Azmark is right. Sticky Wicket by Mr. Beer is hopped! It is a beer after all!

As to the people asking if there is already carbonation - yes, plenty. I suppose the future is party cloudy with a chance of bottle bombs.

Also, it is really sweet, but I did put in a pound of lactose sugar, which obviously sweetens it but doesn't ferment further. That being said, the high sugar content could be fatal.

I'm gonna chill another one and report later.

And that was the last we ever heard of the poor soul.

Lesson: Don't blow yourself up with beer.

Back