I accidentally froze my beer ;-(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerdedBrent

Reaction score
Talk about a n00b move. I am moving from bottling to kegging and building my first keezer. I got a great deal on a Kenmore 7.2 cu. ft. deep freezer. This is my first deep freezer. I have it set to min (the lowest it will go), I don't have a digital thermometer displaying the temp for me and I just assumed would be the highest temperature because it doesn't actually tell me the approximate temp in the manual.

So what can I do to get my freezer to keep cool at the right temperature? Is my first keg of beer wasted? :(

get an external temp controller. There's several threads on here... can't think of the model that's recommended right now, but if you search the forum for temp controller you should find multiple threads. :)

Are you using a freezer without a temp controller and putting it on the lowest setting? If you're setting it on the lowest setting, why are you assuming it would be the highest temperature? I'm very confused by your post.

Are you using a freezer without a temp controller and putting it on the lowest setting? If you're setting it on the lowest setting, why are you assuming it would be the highest temperature? I'm very confused by your post.

When dealing with Freezers, the setting from high 10 to low 1 usually means warmest (still freezing of course) at 1 where coldest at 10....

Back to OP
Get a Johnson temp controller. They work wonders, are already wired so all you have to do it put the probe inside the freezer plug the freezer into the temp controller and plug the temp controller in to the wall. I have one resting above my kegerator to adjust temps for darker/lighter beers and the rare times I use it as a ferm chamber.

Good luck!

Thank you everybody! I will post some follow up pics of my keezer build when it is operational and the beer is drinkable.

Yes, your beer will be fine! When I used to go to Open Air festivals in Germany they had banned glass bottles. So I bought beer in PTFE bottles and froze them to serve as cool packs for other bottles and then drink them once thawed. The beer was just as good (or bad) as before.

Back