Hydrometer Reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBuuck

Reaction score
Hi all,

Calculated my OG prior to fermentation using a tube hydrometer to be 1.050 (spot on for my recipe). However, looking back, I realize the wort temperature was likely around 70 degrees, when my hydrometer is calibrated for 60 degrees. What effect, if any, will this have on my final ABV?
Thanks!

You'll be fine. The corrected OG would be about 1.051. On mobile now so i do no how to add links, but just google hydrometer temperature calculator.

If it's the same temp at final, no need to adjust, the ratio will be exactly the same.

Here is the hydrometer reading I took today... It looks like it is right around the 1.013 FG I'm trying to reach. Would you guys agree?

image-2713343983.jpg

Assuming it reads the same tomorrow, does that mean I'm ready to bottle?!

I think the general rule of thumb is, if you get the same gravity reading three days in a row, fermentation is finished. How long has this been in primary though? There's no need to rush to bottling; from what I've read, the beer can actually benefit from sitting on the yeast cake in primary for a couple weeks.

TBuuck said:

Exactly! I'd wait 2 or 3 days tho. The exact number is less important than ensuring the ferment is complete. The best way to do this is getting the SAME gravity reading 2 or more days apart. If it's even .001 different, wait a week and repeat. Recipes are nice but there are way too many variables for anyone to know exactly what your FG will be. ...

Yes and or no. Many, including myself, feel the yeast will continue for at least a few days to clear the beer and clean up off flavors created during fermentation. Oft stated time frame is 3-4 weeks total. Since minimum seems to be about 7 - 10 days and many say 4 weeks I opted for 3 weeks. I always get clear, clean tasting beers. I drained my pipeline this winter and I rushed a couple. They were noticeably more cloudy. I cannot say for sure it was because they were rushed though.

As a related question as far as conditioning goes, won't that same settling effect occur while it is in the bottles? Also, I've read that Hefes generally do not require the same waiting time, any truth to that?

I agree with the above, my post was explaining how to confirm FG, you shouldn't necessarily bottle as soon as it's reached. Personally, I wait 2 weeks minimum before I even check a beer's gravity, and at least a week after any noticeable activity stops. That said, I still confirm the reading 3 days apart to be sure...

I never check before 3 weeks, and usually go at 4 if readings haven't changed, unless I'm transferring to a secondary

meltroha said:
I never check before 3 weeks, and usually go at 4 if readings haven't changed, unless I'm transferring to a secondary

Generally this works, but for a hef that takes off within 24 hours, shave a week off...

That's a tough one, but I would say it's abnormal. But your taste buds will let you know.

There is a definite sourness to it, but as my first batch, I can't know for sure!

8 days in... First timer, so probably could have been better sanitation wise, but I did soak all instruments and buckets in star San beforehand.

Give it some more time. Sometimes when the krausen settles it leaves some sludge behind on the surface of the beer. I wouldn't write it off just yet.

Prying off the lid 8 days in is generally a bad idea. If you must obsess, switch to a carboy...

Back