hydrometer reading using leftover wort from primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nbspindel

Reaction score
so, i've seen a few people mention that after they move their wort from primary to secondary, they use the bit of wort that is remaining in the primary to take a gravity reading. my question is this:

wouldnt the yeast and other particulate matter that settled to the bottom stir up into the last bit of wort when pouring into test tube, hence altering the SG of the liquid?

I usually pour that leftover beer into a champagne glass and let it settle for half an hour or so at room temperature. Then I decant it carefully into my hydrometer thief, and leave the trub behind. It helps that my hydrometer thief only needs about 3 or 4 ounces of liquid to give a reading. If you aren't using this thief, but are still using a 250mL hydro test jar, switch it up and get this one - you'll be able to waste a lot less beer!

http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/product/0101696/fermtech-wine-thieftest-jar-combo

Back