Hydrometer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven9026

Reaction score
Hello,
I forget to take my hydro reading midway of my kettle drain to my fermenter. I took a reading using all the nasty settlements in my kettle. How will this relate to what I have drained off into my fermenter?

I use a turkey baster and grab a sample from the primary. I don't get any nasties in my sample.

It should be the same. The trub-y stuff at the bottom is not dissolved in the wort so it won't affect the hydro reading. Think of it at the extreme, if you put a rock or marble in the bottom of a hydro jar it would just displace some wort but wouldn't change the reading, there's just a bazillion 'tiny rocks' in that trub-y wort.

It should be the same. The trub-y stuff at the bottom is not dissolved in the wort so it won't affect the hydro reading. Think of it at the extreme, if you put a rock or marble in the bottom of a hydro jar it would just displace some wort but wouldn't change the reading, there's just a bazillion 'tiny rocks' in that trub-y wort.

That's the exact thing I thought after reading the OP. I'm not sure telling you our minds work the same way in a compliment though. :D

Latest posts

Back