hydrometer business!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noodleface84

Reaction score
Hi guys. Here's a question for you. My hydrometer reads 0.998 at 20°c which means it is 0.002 out? Is that correct?

I am guessing I would have to add on the 0.002 to my readings but when I took my original gravity reading, It was 1.050 at 18°c.

I kind of rushed it a bit! How can I work out what it would have been at 20°c?

Thanks,

Unless you have a crazy scientific hydrometer they normally run couple points off. Mine reads 1.004 so i subtraxt that from all ky readings. Check it in distilled water, it should read zero. Then plug your correct reading into a calculator or use the scale that comes with it.

It is my understanding that most hydrometers are calibrated at 68 degrees fahrenheit (20 degrees C) or 60 degrees Fahrenheit (15.5 degrees C). If you measure SG at 20 C and your hydrometer is calibrated at 15.5 degrees C, there is a small correction that should be added to your measurement. You can use this calculator to help you find the correction.
http://www.brewersfriend.com/hydrometer-temp/

Hope that helps. I am fairly new to brewing so if someone more experienced wants to weigh in...:mug:

First you need to determine if you have a hydrometer calibrated to 60F or 68F. It's usually printed at the top of bottom of the scale.

If it's a 68F (20C), and you got 0.998 with distilled water, then you'll need to add 0.002 to any measurement you take at 20C/68F.

If it's 60F, cool a distilled water sample to and check again. There's a measurable difference between 68F and 60F.

0.002 is a big offset, but it'll be consistent to correct for. It's also good practice to re-check it every once in a while with the cheap hydrometers. The paper tends to slide if it's ever dropped.

Back