Hydrogen sulfide in blackberry wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mallerstang

Let it go
Reaction score
I started 3 gallons of blackberry wine in late July, and it developed a strong rotten-egg smell in the primary (I used K1-V1116 plus 4 tsp yeast nutrient). Stirring got rid of most of the smell, so I moved it to the carboy.

Two months later I racked and got a strong smell as soon as the siphon started. After some online research, I poured it between two buckets 10 times and added pot meta. Also we drank a bit of leftovers, which tasted good enough that I didn't want to give up on this batch.

A month later I racked it again, pouring between buckets again and also swishing a copper scouring pad in it for one minute. The smell was greatly diminished, very little sediment, almost clear, and taste was good.

Six weeks later, it's ready to bottle other than a faint sulfur smell if I remove the airlock.

So my question is this - if I go ahead and bottle it, what is the worst that could happen? I plan to age most of it at least six months - any chance the sulfur could push out the corks?

I've never had this problem, but here's what Jack Keller has to say about it:

"Rotten-Egg Smell: Hydrogen-sulfide gas manifests itself as the smell of rotten eggs. Pour the must or wine from one container to another for a few minutes to aerate it. Refit the airlock and wait a few hours. If the smell persists, repeat the procedure. If the smell persists after four such procedures, destroy the batch."

You might also want to have a look at what Keller has to say about "sulfur" smells:

"Sulfur Taste or Smell: This may occur after treatment with Campden tablets or potassium or sodium metabisulfite. It will disappear with age, but if present upon opening a bottle-aged wine, decant several hours before drinking. To prevent the preservation of sulfur taste or smell, never bottle immediately after stabilizing a wine. See Stopping Fermentation in Finishing Your Wine."

Here's the site address:
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/problems.asp

Hope that helps. Regards, GF.

Hi Gratus - thanks for your reply! I already followed Jack Keller's advice by pouring it between the buckets twice, but didn't want to try it more times than that and risk oxidation.

I think I will bottle it in a couple of weeks, racking it to a bucket first to (hopefully) drive off any remaining sulphur smell. Then I'll stack the bottles sideways in a plastic bin just to be safe (in case it explodes!!) and report back here in a few months with the results.

Easier to avoid the problem than to fix it. Hydrogen sulfide is caused by yeast fermenting under stress from lack of adequate nutrition - Not all fruit has all the nutrition that the yeast need so you may want to feed the yeast with DAP or Fermaid.

Hmm - I used 4 tsp of yeast nutrient at the start, but perhaps that wasn't enough? Or the problem might be something that came in with the fruit, since apparently yeast can be stressed out by other things. Ripe blackberries are difficult to wash thoroughly, and there always seem to be moldy ones on the bushes (which we avoid of course but the spores might have spread). We pick the invasive Himalayan blackberries along local trails.

Anyhow I've bottled it rather than throwing it out, and it seemed OK. Plan is to age it at least six months. Fingers crossed... Thanks for the help! :).

Three years later, and I just bottled yet another batch of blackberry with this same problem, which had developed in the secondary fermentation. I did a load of research last spring, and I added yeast energiser as well as yeast nutrient this time, which I think helped but didn't completely prevent it.

I've tried copper before with limited results - racking through a copper scouring pad.

But I'd love to find out exactly what it is about blackberries that gets the yeasties so stressed out! I make wine out of all kinds of things, fruits and juices and raisins and ginger - but it's only the blackberries that have ever had this problem. They are free (though a lot of prickly work to acquire) and make the most delicious wine so I don't want to give up on them. I always rinse them and freeze them immediately after picking.

Has anyone figured this out? Would it help if I avoided primary fermentation in hot weather? Is there a yeast strain that might help? Should I not use EC-1118? Do I need to wash the berries more (or less)? I always use yeast nutrient, and pectic enzyme, but I don't add acid or tannin to blackberries. I use tap water, and the water here is very soft. I don't backsweeten or stabilize.

Help?

Stressed yeast are usually what makes those off flavors or smells. More nutrients and lower temps usually help prevent those problems. Are you stirring and degassing it during primary?

Stressed yeast are usually what makes those off flavors or smells. More nutrients and lower temps usually help prevent those problems. Are you stirring and degassing it during primary?

Stirring yes - degassing no, not the fruit wines. I'll give that a try later this year. Thanks for the suggestion!

I'd still love to find out what makes blackberries different from raspberries, blackcurrants, strawberries, blueberries, plums, peaches, cherries - or if anyone else has had this problem specifically with wild blackberries and solved it.

Aaaargh - I just racked the blackberry wine that I started in September, and once again it's getting stinky! When should I degas it? I was going to take the advice of Seamonkey84 and degas it in the primary this time, but I forgot. It's gone from primary to secondary plus today's racking.

Back