Hunting 3 Floyds in Indianapolis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barley_Bob

Reaction score
I was at a conference this week in Indianapolis. Of course, the most important part of visiting Indy was tracking down some 3 Floyds on my way out of town. So, once the conference ended, my fellow beerhunter and I struck out on a search. The first place we stopped was a liquor store in the downtown area (a Big Red Liquor, I think), and they had one bomber of Alpha Klaus on the shelf. That was it. For the whole store.

So, I picked it up, and got to talking to the owner. He said he orders 15 cases from 3 Floyds per week, and they send him one case... per month. Wow. We chatted a bit longer and he said, "You know what? You're a nice guy. Let me see if I can help you out." I waited around a bit while he checked out another customer, and then he disappeared into a cellar underneath the store. I thought, "This is nice of him. I'm sure he's all sold out, but it's great of him to check." Nope! A few minutes later, he reappears with a bomber of Arctic Panzer Wolf. Wow! After many thanks I left - both bombers in hand.

After this success we cruised across town to get tamales at The Tamale Place. I never liked tamales until I visited this place. They were unreal (the chicken and green chili were to die for). Afterward, we walked into the liquor store next door just to check, and they had Robert the Bruce on the shelf! We left Indianapolis with full bellies, a car stocked up with 3 Floyds, and fond memories.

It may get a little easier to find beers like 3F downtown in a few more months. The Yard House is opening downtown. That will solve the immediate beer problem, but it sounds like you were looking for packaged beer. The other option downtown for packaged beer is Crown Liquors.

Other options for a glass are Ale Emporium and Hop Cat. Either have great tap selections.

If you ever see their Backmasking Oatmeal Stout in a bomber. Grab all of them. I love me some 3 Floyds but was especially blown away with the execution of this animal.

Grabbed a six pack of Zombie Dust in my hometown last week and am holding onto it like "my precious."

Guy's, I live 5 miles from the brewery and Zombie Dust is hard for us to get this year. In fact, anything packaged and not their top three has been scarce.

They are not really putting it out there but the expansion and remodel has put a pretty big dent in their packaging process. So with the bottling line not running full speed things have backed up.

I have not talked to the owners in while but their philosophy has always been one of cautious growth. They would rather starve the pipeline than risk the brewery's reputation. They honestly never thought they would get this big.

Guy's, I live 5 miles from the brewery and Zombie Dust is hard for us to get this year. In fact, anything packaged and not their top three has been scarce.

They are not really putting it out there but the expansion and remodel has put a pretty big dent in their packaging process. So with the bottling line not running full speed things have backed up.

I have not talked to the owners in while but their philosophy has always been one of cautious growth. They would rather starve the pipeline than risk the brewery's reputation. They honestly never thought they would get this big.

That makes total sense given how much the supply has dried up over the past 6 to 12 months. By packaged I assume you mean bottles. If so, then yeah there has been a precipitous dropoff. Oddly enough, Dust has been more prevalent than anything else....including Alpha King.

However, the kegs are still rolling in about like they were before but no growler fills (of course).

Edit: Location = KY

Yeah, I was looking for bottles. Some of the bars had 3F drafts - I just couldn't get away. Bottles were crazy hard to find.

On the plus side, I found some, and that store owner was awesome.

If anyone following this thread is thinking, "Golly, I need to find some Gumballhead for good 'ol Barley Bob," I'm totally on board.

Certain stores have certain hook ups, I can tell you that. Crown usually has the best selections IMO, but geographics and who orders the beer plays a big part as well. My buddy Joe used to run a great store on the south side where you could always pick up Artic Panzer and other beers regularly (aside from GBH and ZB) always had a decent selection. Dust has never sat on the shelf. Massive texts (Big Red) go out when it hits stores, and usually its hidden behind the counter and you are limited to a 6er... They are exapanding, again, so thats the norm. I feel lucky I have been able to get the 3F on the reg that I can and have reached out to others for trades....

Hell, I just had some Yum Yum for the first time tonight. Id be more than happy to send some your way (for some beer in return of course) bc 3F cranks out awesome beer. Im brewing a big west coast IPA next Sun and plan on drinking my last Space Station Middle Finger and Anicca in the process

BTW which Tamale Place did you go to? Im just outside where the original is (its off Rockville Rd on the west side). Tamales are awesome. Their tacos are badass as well. Glad you had a good experience here.

Latest posts

Back