Hunter's Basement E-Brewery Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@bknifefight

Funny you mention that, I was looking at the boxes with my brother and he said the same thing. You could definitely use a single gang box for hooking up the elements without trouble, however the faceplate on the back might not have a ton of surface area to make a good seal with the JB Weld. Either way, as long as you have it sealed up, I say use what works best for you!

You are correct, after the 2 pole breaker, you'll have your din terminal rail. I tied my light in off each leg of this a the din terminals. Because the 63a input contactor, and the din breakers really shouldn't have more than one wire in the screw down terminals, the din rail (after the breaker) makes the most sense for a reliable and safe connection.

I was hoping this was the case. I think I'll do it this way too, as I'm concerned enough about using that jumper from one of the contactor poles to the coil.

A little update on whatsup with the brewery build out. I haven't gotten the HLT or Mash Tun kettles constructed yet, and I was out of town all weekend, so my schedule slipped a bit.

I did however get my ThermoPop in from ThermoWorks and so far I'm very impressed. It seems spot on with the PID readouts that I'm getting from the boil-kettle and the Blichmann Brewmometer mounted on the kettle. The first one had some unusual dust in the display, so thermoworks replaced it no questions asked. Can't recommend them highly enough, customer service was awesome.

On the build front, the plan is to get the electrical hookups run this week (hopefully this evening) at least to the breaker panel. Once I have the wire at the breaker, I can install the last GFCI and the fan will be ready to test.

On the Kettles, the Boil kettle is complete and tested, the pumps are tested and leak at the elbow has been resolved. I'm hoping to get the HLT and Mash tun setup before the weekend.

No pictures from this update!

I'm curious about the water filter. What are the inlets and outlets like? Could I hook it up as a modular unit that I connect to water only when I need it? Or does it need to be a permanent install? Our Chicago water is damn good, but we still filter it through the little Pur charcoal filter on our kitchen sink. This is a very slow process that I'm interested to speed up. If I were to build a unit I can easily connect and disconnect, I suppose I could add an in line flowmeter, too. That would also save time.

Sent from my XT1060 using Home Brew mobile app

@trippel-a

No reason that the water filter needs to be permanent. In fact, before this one was on the wall I used it with a potable-water garden hose to filter the water in the garage while I was using the patio burners. Same idea would apply here, you could just build a faucet adapter for your water filter and run it inline when it's time to fill up your HLT.

I only mounted mine because I was planning the whole build from the bottom up and it seemed easier to hook up to the filling hose directly.

Quick update, since it got way too late to post a bunch of pictures this evening. I spent the afternoon in the shop building the HLT. I knew this one was going to take the longest to put together, and it didn't disappoint. Tomorrow, I need to run a quick leak test and get it heated by the element to ensure all the fittings are water tight, then I've just got the Mash-Tun left to build. Oh, and a few odds and ends to finish the space like 120v power for the kegerator and fan...

Quick picture of the setup from this evening, HLT finished.
ebrewery_191.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hunter,

How did it work for you? Any leaks? I only need to cut one hole so if I can save money on the punch, that would be great!

Thank you.

I bought this punch, I believe the same one you linked:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=121159870509&ssPageName=ADME:X:eRTM:US:1123

The 1.1/4in Qmax punch worked awesome, I had no problems doing my two element cut outs with it. I oiled it up liberally before running it through the kettle wall, but I had no trouble otherwise. I'd highly recommend it.

Now, the smaller 13/16 punch seems a little more temperamental. I only have one more hole to punch, but I did have it give me some fits on the last hole I punched on the HLT. Nevertheless, for the amount of money I saved, I'm happy to fight with it a little.

A another quick update on the Brewery!

On Monday evening, I put together the HLT, but it got far to late to do an initial leak test to make sure things were liquid tight. Yesterday evening, I was able to run that test and found leaks at multiple weldless contact points on the kettle. I ended up disassembling the entire HERMS coil portion of the HLT and re-built it while really wrenching down the weldless fittings, which seems to have resolved my issues.

As for the Heating Element, it was liquid tight right off the bat, just like the Boil Kettle. I applied Silicone to the element and element base in the pot before I wrapped things up yesterday evening.

Last, I found my pumps still have a few really tiny leaks at the joints, so I'll be re-taping those as soon as I run up to the hardware and grab another roll of the Blue Plumbers Tape.

Picture of leak testing yesterday, after the complete rebuild:

BgUdCw2CEAA6DfB.jpg:large

I'm feeling pretty good about the HLT, I think it's ready to go. After testing the element and triple checking all the joints, the only thing left is to build the Mash-Tun.

The 1.1/4in Qmax punch worked awesome, I had no problems doing my two element cut outs with it. I oiled it up liberally before running it through the kettle wall, but I had no trouble otherwise. I'd highly recommend it.

Thank you Hunter. I am glad I came across your build. I nearly bought the Greenlee at a much higher price tag for just 1 hole. I would have listed it on eBay once done but this tool is cheaper than what I would lose in the resale.

Order placed. It's coming from across the pond so it'll take a while but that's ok. I am still gathering parts for my electric build.

Thank you Hunter. I am glad I came across your build. I nearly bought the Greenlee at a much higher price tag for just 1 hole. I would have listed it on eBay once done but this tool is cheaper than what I would lose in the resale.

Order placed. It's coming from across the pond so it'll take a while but that's ok. I am still gathering parts for my electric build.

I bought the QMax 7/8" punch and it worked great. I did take about 2-3 weeks to get here but as mentioned it's a lot less expensive.

I also got one (1-1/4) and it took 2 wks and that was with a stop in WA since they wouldn't ship it to Hawaii. I had a relative forward it on to me. Even with the extra $5 for shipping way cheaper than a Greenlee.

What size hole did you use for your power cord to go in?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

@Isott

I actually used the step bit for the hole that I drilled for the power cord. I can't recall the step size I took it down too off the top of my head, but I can try and get a measurement for you.

The Petra dryer cord came with a cable clamp and the proper mounting hole specifications in the instructions, so I followed those.

Awesome. Appreciate the help. I gave you some praise in my build thread.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Spent the afternoon finishing up the brewery! I'm at 99% complete, with the exception of the worth chiller hoses (which I'll be picking up this week). Finished building the MLT, closed up the element junction box on the HLT, and wired up the 120v for the fan and outlets on the brewery wall. Here are the latest glamor shots, ready for the pilot batch next Saturday!

ebrewery_done_01.jpg

ebrewery_done_02.jpg

ebrewery_done_03.jpg

ebrewery_done_04.jpg

ebrewery_done_05.jpg

ebrewery_done_06.jpg

ebrewery_done_07.jpg

ebrewery_done_08.jpg

ebrewery_done_09.jpg

ebrewery_done_10.jpg

Congrats! Looks great.

Now that it's wired up does your vent fan dimmer work?

Was about to send you a message. It absolutely DOES NOT work. If I turn it to high, it runs, 66% and 33% settings do not spin at all.

I'm switching it to a basic on-off switch, as even at maximum speed, the fan is barely audible in the kitchen above (which was my only immediate concern). I suspect something with the soft-start capacitor keeps the fan from running with a simple dimmer...

Was about to send you a message. It absolutely DOES NOT work. If I turn it to high, it runs, 66% and 33% settings do not spin at all.

I'm switching it to a basic on-off switch, as even at maximum speed, the fan is barely audible in the kitchen above (which was my only immediate concern). I suspect something with the soft-start capacitor keeps the fan from running with a simple dimmer...

Unfortunately, I've come to the same conclusion. Not sure why they worked when Kal did his and now they do not and was hoping to be able to slow it down instead of just on/off but it is what it is I guess.

Do you have a brew schedule? Hoping to be at your point in about 2 weeks.

Planning a Saturday test batch. Still drawing up the grain bill, but likely a session ipa based loosely on the All-Day clone receipe on here.

Hunter306

Nice build thread you have here.

Where did you end up sourcing the PID's and Temp probes?

You know with the skills you used on building the brew kettles and stuff you're going to have to retire the hand crank on the grain mill in post 220 and motorize it.

Hunter306

Nice build thread you have here.

Where did you end up sourcing the PID's and Temp probes?

You know with the skills you used on building the brew kettles and stuff you're going to have to retire the hand crank on the grain mill in post 220 and motorize it.

Pids were ordered directly from Auberins.com (I paid a little extra for the auber name, for sure).

Temperature probes are the Auber ones as well, but I ordered them from Kal's shop which included the necessary components to build the sheathed cable that plugs into the panel. Paid the upgrade to extend all the cables by 2ft just in case my mounting situation got weird later on.

On the Grain Mill, I was ready to pull the trigger on that Garage-Door Motor from the thread in DIY, but it went out of stock. I'm still stalking that thread to watch for new stock, I'd love to get it motorized.

Amazing build! Do you have any plans on doing a video of brewing with it?

I am planning on posting a video, but not immediately. I want to get the first brew day under my belt so I am more familiar with the system before I talk about it live action!

Pids were ordered directly from Auberins.com (I paid a little extra for the auber name, for sure).

Temperature probes are the Auber ones as well, but I ordered them from Kal's shop which included the necessary components to build the sheathed cable that plugs into the panel. Paid the upgrade to extend all the cables by 2ft just in case my mounting situation got weird later on.

On the Grain Mill, I was ready to pull the trigger on that Garage-Door Motor from the thread in DIY, but it went out of stock. I'm still stalking that thread to watch for new stock, I'd love to get it motorized.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I was able to get one of those motors.

Putting together the Grain Bill for this evening's trip to Adventures in Homebrewing. The plan is a Session IPA as I mentioned before, in the vein of Founder's All Day.

Roughly Planning on WLP862 for the yeast with a starter. Wouldn't mind getting it up around 4.8-5% if possible, so I may still tweak the grains a bit. But any thoughts from you guys that have made this would be appreciated.

Grains:
13lb 8oz Briess 2-row
2lb 12oz Briess Caramel 20L
1lb 8oz flaked oats

Hop Schedule (boil):
.6 oz Crystal 3.4AA leaf 60 min
.42 oz Simcoe 14.1AA leaf 60 min

1 oz Amarillo 8.6AA pellet 20 min
1 oz Simcoe 14.1AA leaf 20 min
.5 oz Citra 20 min

1 oz Amarillo 8.6AA pellet 5 min
1 oz Simcoe 14.1AA leaf 5 min
.5 oz Citra pellet 5 min

Hop Schedule (Ferment) 7day:

1 oz Simcoe 14.1AA
1 oz Amarillo 8.6AA
.5 oz Citra pellet

Have to pick up a thermometer for the Wort Chiller and a few last fittings for the hose to run cold water to and from the chiller as well.

As one who has built an electric brewery following Kals plans, I say Cheers! Good work and happy brewing!
It sure is gratifying when you have wort in the fermenter on that first batch!

What are you guessing for efficiency? On my first brew on my eHERMS I underestimated the bump (from ~70 to ~85) in efficiency, made my porter imperial on accident.

Awesome build, good luck on brew day!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Hunter, just wanted to say thanks again for helping with that wiring. I finished my build and turned everything on. Aside from a backwards element light wire it worked perfectly and I plan on brewing this weekend. Thanks again and good luck with the brew!

P.S. Did you already program your PIDs and auto tune your HLT?

Hunter, just wanted to say thanks again for helping with that wiring. I finished my build and turned everything on. Aside from a backwards element light wire it worked perfectly and I plan on brewing this weekend. Thanks again and good luck with the brew!

P.S. Did you already program your PIDs and auto tune your HLT?

Good question. I'm going to do one more water-only run before the weekend to check for any last hiccups (leaks). I'm planning on Auto-tuning then, but the PIDS are indeed programmed. There are really only a couple of settings that need to be configured before they are ready to go, so that didn't take too long.

Glad to hear yours came together successfully!

What are you guessing for efficiency? On my first brew on my eHERMS I underestimated the bump (from ~70 to ~85) in efficiency, made my porter imperial on accident.

Awesome build, good luck on brew day!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

In beersmith 2, I was estimating efficiency at ~80% based on all the threads and feedback I've read on similar systems. I suspect that since this is my first go, it could come out a little lower, but who knows until I actually fire it up!

Thanks guys, will update with the efficiency numbers as soon as I run the first batch.

I made a few changes and decided to go with a more ale-oriented yeast (WYEAST 1056) for the first run. Brewed up a 1lt starter to give it a jump start and give me a few more cells to spread across the 2x 5 gal fermenters I'm using.

Pretty sure I'm going to order a 12.5gal Conical or Two here for the brewery from Stout shortly.

Look like this is the final recipe:

Grains:
14lb Briess 2-row
3lb Briess Caramel 20L
1lb Flaked oats
1lb Flaked corn/maize

Hop Schedule (boil):
.25 oz Amarillo 8.7AA 60 min
.5 oz Simcoe 13.9AA 60 min

1 oz Amarillo 8.6AA 20 min
1 oz Simcoe 13.9AA 20 min
.5 oz Citra 20 min 13.7AA 20 min