Hung fermentation????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyinBrewer

Reaction score
Recipe:

Munton's Nut Brown kit
.25lb roasted malt steeped for half hour
.75lb Krystal malt steeped for half hour
3lb krystal DME
11g kit yeast
11g Safeale ale yeast

Fermentation was VIGOROUS at 18hrs post pitch

IG: 1.057

Kit indicated that the FG would be around 1.010 - 1.008

Current gravity is 1.018 and has been stable for 3 days. Wort has been in primary for 2 weeks today at 70*

Would you call this a hung fermentation? I've tasted a sample and its exactly what I wanted it to be.

I'm in the same boat. I have a stuck fermentation..FG should be 1.012 - 1.018 but I'm still @ 1.020 after 3 readings. It's been fermenting @ 64-66 degrees. This is my first batch and I like the taste. The OG is 1.048, IPA. I bought the kit from my local homebrew store. I think the kit was called True Brew IPA. should i pitch more Yeast?

The rehydration is a red herring... most people are going to make a starter to get more yeast cells, and rehydration is just to make sure that the yeast is viable.

FG is a suggested range. I've had beers go wildly above the FG quoted in the recipe, and some have gone way under (but usually with enzyme). If it's been two weeks in the primary... move on to the next step.

Rehydrating the yeast reduces the shock when it is pitched into the sugar laden wort. The result by rehydrating the yeast is that more cells survive the pitch. There are plenty of yeast cells in a dry pack to be OK to direct pitch to a normal gravity beer.

Generally you do not make starters with dry yeast.

After 2 weeks and you are at 1.018. Thats 68% attenuation. Not too great, but not too bad either. Looks like you have a lot of unfermentables with .25 lbs roasted, .75 lbs Crystal, and crystal DME. The final gravity depends a lot on the yeast.

I think you are done. Unless you have a yeast cake ready to siphon this onto, I would just carb and bottle and move on. The extra effort (and expense) to get the extra half-dozen points is not worth it and will just provide additional opportunities for infection.

Calder, I'm just curious about something. I've been meaning to ask about this, so since you mention it, I'll ask you. Why not make starters with dry yeast? I know liquid yeast is more volatile and we make starters to check their viability as well as build the colony, but if I'm doing a 10 gallon batch of 1.070 and need 3 liters of starter, why not make the starter with dry yeast. I've heard people say that since it's much cheaper, you may as well just buy 2 or 3 packets. But now that 05 and other dry yeasts are almost as much as liquid yeast, why not make a starter out of 1 packet. I've never heard of anyone making a starter out of dry yeast, so why not?

Latest posts

Back