huge, idiotic mistake.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isaacandreas

Reaction score
I am a beginner. I thought I knew my stuff. I read everything I could find about home brewing, purchased the setup, thought I had it down, read the instructions six times and a few over while actually getting the brew started..
Sounds great.. a rookie rising in the ranks, taking his first steps towards a home-brewing-master... and I bought coopers lager thinking it was ale.
I didn't know the difference in fermenting lager and ale, and somehow I missed that it is so much differen't in temp.

So I brewed my first batch of Coopers Original Lager in my 5 gallon carboy (thinking it was ale), I had to make a airlock overflow with a milk jug because I didn't think about the foam (as my 7 gallon fermentation bucket lay dorment..) I fermented it for 10 days at 73-75f in my closet, wrapped in a towel to avoid disturbance from my wife's thrice daily shoe change. After one week, I dropped my hydrometer in the carboy, and with so much reidue on the top I couldn't see where it sat. I guessed it was okay, and as the airlock was bubbling once every 45 seconds I thought it was fine to bottle, so I did.

After bottling I got self-concious, and researched, realizing that even without a hydrometer reading you should wait for a much longer intervol between bubbles than 45 seconds. I figured there was nothing I could do, started my second batch (in the bucket) imidiately.

anyway to the point... my beer is very sweet. Its been two weeks, and after sending my english bitter ale to the secondary (learning to use the hydrometer this time) I taisted it, and it was not at all sweet like my first batch was. It tasted great!! I chilled and cracked my first beer from my first batch after bottling for two weeks, and its over carbonated and very sweet. But I couldn't expect more see'ing as its lager fermented at a dramaticly wrong temp. Its not bad, and for my first batch its really tasty. I have had three and I am feeling pretty good, its just VERY sweet and carbonated too much. I assume that it was not done fermenting, and I primed and bottled too early, making it carbonate too fast and too much. It doesn't foam over when I open the bottle (yet) but compared to the one I tasted a week ago its too far.

My question...
I've been pondering if its a good idea to open and recap each bottle. I think the yeast STILL has sugar to eat because its quickly becoming MORE carbonated, so I am thinking if I release the pressure and recap, it can finish fermenting without having bottle bombs on my hands. Either that or fridge it all and drink it as it is (like I said, I feel pretty good right now, minus the sweet flavor of the brew) any thoughts? Should I my idea on a bottle or two, and in a couple days see if its still producing CO2?
I am clearly a beginner and an idiot, but I am proud my first batch is getting me drunk none the less.

Thoughts? Ideas? Insults?
All welcome!! :tank:

I would think that bottle bombs are a REAL concern.. what to do about them is another question that I will let someone else answer...... what I will adress is you should never judge if a beer is finished by the airlock bubbles. Some will tell you it is NO indication to which I disagree but NO WAY is it definitive....Next brew, leave it in primary for 3-4 weeks THEN check the gravity...wait 2 days and check it again. If it is the same then bottle or secondary whichever you prefer.

Also I am thinking if I re-cap each bottle, it will give the yeast more time to eat the sugar minimizing the sweet flavor and the overcarbonation. It may be false hopes, so thats why I'm asking for opinions. Again.. I cannot believe I mistook Lager for Ale. Yikes!!

If anybody asks for any more information, like I mentioned I'm stupid and have none. I don't have my beggining or FG of the brew, I don't have the yeast package or instruction booklet, or even my 10% discount coupon for my brewing site, which I would of liked to of had for my wheat ale I purchased today.

IF ( again I am too new to answer this) you decide to recap em, I would wear eye protection and heavy gloves. just open enough to get a "PSSSST" and I believe you can recap with the same caps. I would sacrifice one of the beers to get a gravity readin also just to see where you are at.

Well I didn't research bottle bombs too much, but as I said I've had three just now, and they are just overcarbonated... by my guess I would still have the super-overcarbonated of it foaming all over before bottle bombing would commence. (just a guess) so if I was to either fridge the brew (it wouldnt carbonate anymore.. correct?) or just recap it, it would need to be VERY soon. Like today or tomorrow.

I wrapped a wet towel around the first one I opened tonight, because I was quiet worried but yet overly excited.

I think you're forgetting that you've got LAGER yeast there.. you're not going to shut it down by chilling in a fridge. If you're not getting gushers, I'd just keep them covered in a safe place where a potential bottle bomb won't make a huge mess and continue to drink them. Re-capping is possible, but you don't know how much fermentables are left, so you run the risk of them not re-carbonating. Chalk it up to your first batch learning curve and move on.

Even if it doesn't shut it down, will them hitting the fridge help slow the process so I can get em all down the hatch? My second batch, english bitter ale (although totally different type of beer) had a FG of 1.012, which means if they are similure in that aspect they still have 0.005 more to carbonate before maxing out.. which would make me think re-capping would be a good idea to do now? It's do or die. And I have 5 gallons worth of beer to either risk waisting, or blowing up... I don't know which is the lesser evil.

What if they only carbonate a little, or not at all? How gross is this? Like a flat beer left out overnight? yuck.

I think you're forgetting that you've got LAGER yeast there.. you're not going to shut it down by chilling in a fridge. If you're not getting gushers, I'd just keep them covered in a safe place where a potential bottle bomb won't make a huge mess and continue to drink them. Re-capping is possible, but you don't know how much fermentables are left, so you run the risk of them not re-carbonating. Chalk it up to your first batch learning curve and move on.

completely forgot about the lager yeast.....yep he is 100% correct. I think this is your best bet.

If you really want to try
you could chill the beer pop the caps and cover with tin foil for a week at fermenting temperature.
Then boil some sugar and recarbonate

Still you might invite to a party instead

you could chill the beer pop the caps and cover with tin foil for a week at fermenting temperature.

This.

It's a PITA, but it's really the only sure way to salvage them. Get some Muntons carb tabs while they're fermenting out.

If you got the Cooper's OS lager can/kit,you got their ale yeast in the gold sachet. So it's more of a pale ale rather than a true lager. Also,Cooper's kits in general,are topped off to 23L,or 6.072 gallons,not 5. & they can take 2-3 weeks to get down to FG. Both of my OS lager kits,one modified,both FG'd at 1.012. My gallery shows the results. So it seems that it's sweet for a couple of reasons...

i can offer no advice whatsoever BUT you're not an idiot. you made a mistake, something everyone on this board has done.

follow whomever's advice you choose to and "live and learn."

Yeah, this.

Otherwise, I would rather have flat beer than bottle bombs. So me, I would recap those suckers one way or another to prevent a potentially really bad nasty mess.

I think everybody is right here...
My plan of action (see'ing as this whole thing was to save countless dollars each week I spend on beer) is to be safe, throw half the bottles in the coldest part of the fridge (peice of crap...) and while keeping those steady down the hatch re-prime and cap the other half. By then my second batch will be ready for bottles and I'll have a steady flow.

Just to clarify a bit.. stick the beer in the fridge, once its cold pop the caps, simply cover with tin foil for a week in the closet, and re-prime and re-cap? Just like that?

I'd let them sit in the fridge for a couple days,the CO2 doesn't go into solution that fast. Then try the foil bit,re-cap,chill for 5 days,& see which is better/worse. Then you'll know by your own observations. But keep volumes & ferment times/temps in perspective from now on,& you'll be happier with the results.

Leave 'em alone, get them as cold as possible and enjoy your highly carbonated, slightly sweet beer.

This is the best advice you could follow. Next batch if you are in a hurry give it a couple weeks then take a gravity reading 2 days apart. If both gravity readings are the same you can bottle it. Personally I give each batch a month in primary then bottle.

Yes,all the Cooper's OS (Original Series) kits get the ale yeast in the gold sachet. I guess it is ultimately up to you weather you want to mess with those bottles,or just chill,drink,& learn?...:mug:

Back