Huckleberry recipe help or recommendations...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hans_shu_east_gluff

Reaction score
Hey team, I have a few lbs of frozen huckleberrys picked locally by me and my GF. I am wondering how I should work this into an all grain recipe. I don't want it to be overwhelming. I was thinking of making an IPA. Is this going to overpower the huckleberry? I only have basic ingredients kicking around and no LHBS. Cascade, nugget and centennial hops. Big bag of 2 row pale and big bag of Pilsner. Anybody do a basic Ale with huckleberrys, or any fruit for that matter?

I can't help you with a recipe, but I do like the idea of a huckleberry ale. I would suggest not doing an IPA though, the flavor would be lost amongst all the hops.

Maybe a cream ale or a normal pale ale. You have the base grains, I say go for it. A few lbs of 2 row, a few lbs of pilsner and a couple oz of hops. Mash up your berries and put them into the secondary and when it has aged some time transfer it to tertiary to clear.

A bit more time/labor/love intensive, but it will be worth it in the end.

I have plugged some numbers into Hopvilles beer calculator. I have a 31.5 IBU 5.5% ABV. You think that would be too strong? You also mentioned throwing the berries into the secondary. I was kind of thinking of throwing em into the boil near the end. You think thats a bad idea? I have no experience brewing with anything but grains and haven't actually had too many fruit beers I have enjoyed. The ones I have enjoyed were subtle, so may be a good idea to throw the berries in after the boil?

Your numbers should be fine.

I think the best course of action would be to put some in the boil and then adjust the taste in the secondary, you can always add more flavor but it is hard to take is back.

I have always just thrown the berries into the secondary after smashing them up, but I am not opposed to a fruit beer. I blend them up really good and make a tea out of them and rack on top of them.

Back