HOWTO - Make a BrewPi Fermentation Controller For Cheap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty cool case, but I'd be concerned that it was so purpose-built for the full complement of Elco's rev C design you might have more trouble fitting your own implementation than the price justifies...

Cheers!

Pretty cool case, but I'd be concerned that it was so purpose-built for the full complement of Elco's rev C design you might have more trouble fitting your own implementation than the price justifies...

Cheers!
Do you think it would be that different using your shield?

It looks like a prototype shield to me but I may be wrong. A guy sufficiently motivated might modify the cutouts for his own cabling I suppose. The "harder" work of designing the case itself is done.

I have a stack of shield boards waiting for me to get off my duff and do something with them.

I spoke to a local guy who does laser cutting. $35 to have that done in 1/8" acrylic. About $5 more than the 3D printed file is going to cost me although this has the LCD cutout and the 3D has an outlet ... completely different designs. The acrylic one does look to include an RPi case though.

I think that's the original brewpi case and revisions were made at a later date. There's nothing to say it wouldn't fit the "current" iteration of the brewpi (this shield) but connections etc in different positions/fittings will mean it's not a perfect solution and there could be cheaper solutions

Do you think it would be that different using your shield?

It looks like a prototype shield to me but I may be wrong. A guy sufficiently motivated might modify the cutouts for his own cabling I suppose. The "harder" work of designing the case itself is done.

I have a stack of shield boards waiting for me to get off my duff and do something with them.

I spoke to a local guy who does laser cutting. $35 to have that done in 1/8" acrylic. About $5 more than the 3D printed file is going to cost me although this has the LCD cutout and the 3D has an outlet ... completely different designs. The acrylic one does look to include an RPi case though.

I built my second box this past weekend. I used a $9 project box from Radio Shack. With a saber saw and a couple of drill bits, you can make a fairly professional looking case for not very much money.

Alright, I got the legit Arduino and that solved the USB problem. I have the Arduino properly programmed with the hex code. I have hit another problem and just wanna ask a question:
I cannot get my temp probes to show up in the installed devices section after refreshing the list. When I originally connected the Arduino to the Pi and powered it up, the Relay sprung to life and click in. Then when I flashed the Arduino, the Relay went dark. I assume it shut itself off. Is this suppose to happen? Does the relay need to be on for the two probes to be detected? As my power source, I am using a 9V cell phone power supply. It turned on the Relay before, so I dont think power is an issue.
I have double checked my wiring a few times now, even disconnected and reconnected all of them, re stripping wires, and used an Ohm meter to check the resistor. I even looked to make sure the probes that I ordered are proper and that I have the right wires for data, ground, and power.
Any help?

Alright, I got the legit Arduino and that solved the USB problem. I have the Arduino properly programmed with the hex code. I have hit another problem and just wanna ask a question:
I cannot get my temp probes to show up in the installed devices section after refreshing the list. When I originally connected the Arduino to the Pi and powered it up, the Relay sprung to life and click in. Then when I flashed the Arduino, the Relay went dark. I assume it shut itself off. Is this suppose to happen? Does the relay need to be on for the two probes to be detected? As my power source, I am using a 9V cell phone power supply. It turned on the Relay before, so I dont think power is an issue.
I have double checked my wiring a few times now, even disconnected and reconnected all of them, re stripping wires, and used an Ohm meter to check the resistor. I even looked to make sure the probes that I ordered are proper and that I have the right wires for data, ground, and power.
Any help?
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=7654444&postcount=5909

Any help?

The dreaded parasite problem would be my first guess as well.

Any help?

Just to confirm, you're having this trouble after you have found the devices in the list and then configured them correctly? When you first power on, the software won't recognize the probes in the installed list automatically. You need to find them in the list, configure them, save the changes and then refresh. After that they should show up in the installed devices list.

Just to confirm, you're having this trouble after you have found the devices in the list and then configured them correctly? When you first power on, the software won't recognize the probes in the installed list automatically. You need to find them in the list, configure them, save the changes and then refresh. After that they should show up in the installed devices list.
I have not installed anything. The devices do not show up at all.

So I was trying to reinstall the whole shebang from scratch.

I get through to the python updater.py ask step but get stuck.

I seem to be unable to cd /home/brewpi/brewpi-tools from this point.
I can see the directory but it tells me there is no such directory.
This seems like a permissions thing. Am I correct?

How do I set permissions correctly for the directories I need?

Last time I installed this I did a manual install. *edit(If the above fails, can I git clone directly from the legacy branch and do it manually?) found it.

sudo -u brewpi git clone -b legacy https://github.com/BrewPi/brewpi-script /home/brewpi

They aren't showing up in the "detected" devices list either?

Nope, not even in the detected device list. It is just like in the links posted above. I havent had a chance to look into it to see if its a parasite problem yet. Im very much new at this stuff so I am having some trouble navigating around.

Hooked up my brew pi to my boiler and blew the fuse in the plug I'd wired up to the relay. Makes sense, fuse in that plug was 5 amps, boiler was 13. However I've just hooked up a brewpi with a 13 amp fuse on the plug to my keezer and I'm pretty sure it's blown again. Anyone know why a fuse would blow even if the keezer is also 13 amps?

I bought the same arduino linked in the guide on the first page... I dont doubt that this could be the case, Amazon can be shifty, but it seems to look legit to me.

Thanks for your reply though. I believe i found the hex code I need...

can you link to the hex, i can't find it in the github...

EDIT: I guess the right question is, does anyone have a compiled hex they can send me as i have OS X and can't use atmel studio to build the hex file... womb womp

EDIT EDIT: I'm an idiot. found it!

Nevermind, got it sorted. a couple things going wrong.

I installed wheezy without the graphical interface and this increased the degree of difficulty.

Hooked up my brew pi to my boiler and blew the fuse in the plug I'd wired up to the relay. Makes sense, fuse in that plug was 5 amps, boiler was 13. However I've just hooked up a brewpi with a 13 amp fuse on the plug to my keezer and I'm pretty sure it's blown again. Anyone know why a fuse would blow even if the keezer is also 13 amps?

I'm likely not the guy that will help, but I've read enough here to know the folks who do often help will want to see a picture of how you are wired up.

Brewpi up and running again.

I have confirmed that all 3 sensors I want to use work. I can get 2 to work at a time, but not the 3rd.

Could it be a voltage problem? I'm running a 9V 1A wall wart to power the Uno and Wemos D1 wifi board.

So I have been looking at this project for a while and finally decided to pull the trigger. Yesterday i worked through the software, today my relay arrives (I had EVERYTHING ELSE laying around). Here is a picture of my progress, hopefully this will inspire other people. it will mount on the wall and I will be ordering the 7" LCD kit ASAP.

I haven't put the Distro block in yet for power to relay and power to unit, all probably also switch the wall wort out for an open frame PS.

input is always welcome.

Prost!

IMG_1790.jpg

So I have been looking at this project for a while and finally decided to pull the trigger. Yesterday i worked through the software, today my relay arrives (I had EVERYTHING ELSE laying around). Here is a picture of my progress, hopefully this will inspire other people. it will mount on the wall and I will be ordering the 7" LCD kit ASAP.

I haven't put the Distro block in yet for power to relay and power to unit, all probably also switch the wall wort out for an open frame PS.

input is always welcome.

Prost!

Look at all that space! Looks good.

i know, i'm going to setup the python only version of this in there on a second raspi with leads, relay, etc.

If it is near your kegging setup ( if you utilize kegs), throw raspberry pints on there and use it for displaying your taplist, too. You could use the7" display for both purposes.

I was poking about Amazon today and ended up finding something I did not need. I thought I would post it here in case it might help someone.

Just in case you want/need to have your Arduino a ways away from your Pi/computer, or maybe you are running multiple chambers and they are not next to each other, and you don't want to do Bluetooth? Here's a solution:

Monoprice USB Extender over CAT5E or CAT6 Connection up to 150ft - 2 for $27.95

I have used these for other applications and they work very well. The only potential issue I can see is the power consumption/attenuation. You can use a powered hub on the far end to drive the 'duino if the run is very long.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been messing with a Pi Zero and am having issues getting it to talk to the Arduino. I replaced my hub and can see it when I lsusb but when I look at the /dev/ list it never shows up. Anyone have any ideas? It works fine plugged into my Pi 3 even through the hub.

Code:
pi@brewpi:~ $ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 2341:0043 Arduino SA Uno R3 (CDC ACM)
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 148f:5370 Ralink Technology, Corp. RT5370 Wireless Adapter
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 05e3:0608 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB-2.0 4-Port HUB
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Code:
pi@brewpi:~ $ ls /dev/ttyACM*
ls: cannot access /dev/ttyACM*: No such file or directory

How about /dev/ttyUSBx? Have you looked in /var/log/messages?

Some hubs didn't meld well with the older pi's. I have one that's for a Mac and basically it only works well with a Mac. even though it's just a standard USB hub it doesn't work at all with my pi b+. I've had great success with monoprice hubs.

How about /dev/ttyUSBx? Have you looked in /var/log/messages?
No sir ... nothing different in /dev from when it is plugged in to when it is not. It does not create a ttyUSBx in the other Pi's though; it does the ttyACM*. Still ... none of either show up. I have not looked at the messages - will do that.
Some hubs didn't meld well with the older pi's. I have one that's for a Mac and basically it only works well with a Mac. even though it's just a standard USB hub it doesn't work at all with my pi b+. I've had great success with monoprice hubs.
It certainly could be that, although I tried two different hubs. One is older, one is brand new. Both support the keyboard/mouse, Bluetooth and wireless Ethernet just fine. You can see the Arduino is recognized as being plugged in, it's just not created a device.

This is the same version of Jessie I am using on the other Pi's.

It stands to reason that the hub is the issue some way. I wish there was some way of testing without a hub but no matter how you slice it I need at least two ports to test.

You could ssh into the pi0 and just go with a single USB connection with power to the arduino. you may have screwed up the boot loader some how. you would probably still be able to program the arduino on windowz even if the boot loader is corrupt. just a thought

You could ssh into the pi0 and just go with a single USB connection with power to the arduino. you may have screwed up the boot loader some how. you would probably still be able to program the arduino on windowz even if the boot loader is corrupt. just a thought
That makes 2 USB connections ... wireless and the Arduino. I thought maybe I could use a serial terminal into the Pi Zero but I need to cobble that up.

The Arduino and even the Arduino + hub works just fine plugged into my Pi 3 so I don't think it's the Arduino. I only have one and it's the same one I've done everything else with.

There's something weird here. I just need to take it all apart and do it one piece at a time.

Anyone else experience issues running in fridge and beer constant? I am able to run the profile mode but when I try to use the constant modes after I hit apply to the set temp it will display down by the apply button "temp control disabled". The mode remains off and it continues to log the temps.

Edit: OK so I got an idea. I changed the temp to something warmer. 40. And it worked. I was just trying it on the default value before to see if it worked. It must have a safety setting so it won't let me freeze my beer by mistake!!

Anyone else experience issues running in fridge and beer constant? I am able to run the profile mode but when I try to use the constant modes after I hit apply to the set temp it will display down by the apply button "temp control disabled". The mode remains off and it continues to log the temps.

Edit: OK so I got an idea. I changed the temp to something warmer. 40. And it worked. I was just trying it on the default value before to see if it worked. It must have a safety setting so it won't let me freeze my beer by mistake!!
Yeah that just got me the other day - there's a min/max setting on the maintenance screens that prevents 20F right out of the box for instance.

I tried to install brewpi on a new pi zero just for kicks but ran in to the same problem as I did the first time. Seems Brewpi doesn't recognize my clone uno and I need to edit part of the program. I did it once before but forgot how I did it. Here is what I need to do.
I have the same issue, but de output from autoserial.py is quite different.

python autoSerial.py
All ports:
/dev/ttyUSB0 - USB2.0-Serial, VID:1a86, PID:7523
/dev/ttyAMA0 - ttyAMA0, VID:None, PID:None
Compatible ports:
Selected port: (None, None)

is it possible to change anything in config files by my self?

Thanks!

UPDATED: I put one more line in autoserial.py and now both PI and arduino can talk

{'vid': 0x1a86, 'pid': 0x7523, 'name': "uno"}
I was able to find this
sudo python /home/brewpi/autoSerial.py to find out the info on the uno

All ports:
/dev/ttyACM0 - Arduino Uno, VID:2a03, PID:0043 this line will be different.
Compatible ports:
sudo nano python /home/brewpi/autoSerial.py
to edit the files

I am currently working through my temperature probe problem.

1) They are not in paracite mode:- tested already.

I could connect 2 of my 1m probes or my 3m probe but not a 3m and 1m together. On a second brewpi arduino I have 3 x 1m probes attached and they all read fine.

I suspect a voltage problem associate with total probe length. I am running a 9V 1A wall wart plugged into the arduino. This is also powering a Wemos D1 wifi board.

To eliminate connection problems I have connected mini XLr plugs.

All 3 probes worked and the 2x 1m probes could be seen by Brewpi. I still could not connect the 3m probe.

I have trimmed down the fridge temp probe to 40cm and the 3m down to about 1.5m (at the time of purchase I couldn't find a shorter length other than 1m). I can now connect the 1.5m and either of the shorter probes and get readings.

I feel like I am making progress. I needed a break from solder-test-desolder-cut-resolder-test-desolder ad nauseum, so I am posting.

I'll report back.

The three probes are not playing nice together.

The 3m probe is down to only just over 1m, the shortest length I really want to be comfortable in the fermentation fridge.

I hooked up the other arduino board with the 3 working 1m probes to the wifi and I get all 3 probes.

I am swapping out the 3m probe for a 1m probe. There won't be much leeway with regards to length, but the 3m probe seems to be the issue.

fwiw, all of my probes are 3 meters long, and every BrewPi agent here has had three probes wired with no issues, some with well over a year of run time.

Plus, I've been running a 5 channel temperature logger with 5 three Meter probes for nearly two years now, again without problems.

So, I doubt the problem you're seeing is due to wire length. Something else must be going on.
I would verify your pull-up value and connectivity before cutting any more length off your probes...

Cheers!

fwiw, all of my probes are 3 meters long, and every BrewPi agent here has had three probes wired with no issues, some with well over a year of run time.

Plus, I've been running a 5 channel temperature logger with 5 three Meter probes for nearly two years now, again without problems.

So, I doubt the problem you're seeing is due to wire length. Something else must be going on.
I would verify your pull-up value and connectivity before cutting any more length off your probes...

Cheers!

It's funny. I swapped the (originally 3m) probe out for a 1m probe and it worked with the unit on wifi.

I put that probe connected to a 2nd computer via USB running brewpi separately. And it worked. That probe was just not playing nice with that set up. I checked everything twice.

And now I have connected the wifi to the 2nd board and all 3 are working.

Now I take a closer look, the relay on the 2nd board if powered of a separate 5V pin. On the 1st board the 5v line is coming out of the terminal block that supplies the probes. This is literally the only difference.

Anyway, I now have 2 working Brewpi Arduino units. (and a heap of 4 to 6 inch lengths of 3 wire cable for future projects).

Next job is temperature calibration.

I tried to install brewpi on a new pi zero just for kicks but ran in to the same problem as I did the first time. Seems Brewpi doesn't recognize my clone uno and I need to edit part of the program. I did it once before but forgot how I did it. Here is what I need to do.
I was able to find this
sudo python /home/brewpi/autoSerial.py to find out the info on the uno

All ports:
/dev/ttyACM0 - Arduino Uno, VID:2a03, PID:0043 this line will be different.
Compatible ports:
sudo nano python /home/brewpi/autoSerial.py
to edit the files
Boom- All system go.:ban::rockin:

Interesting that all that was needed. I'll give that a go when I get a spare moment and see how it works for me.

Thanks!

I tried to install brewpi on a new pi zero just for kicks but ran in to the same problem as I did the first time.
I settled down with a soft drink and a better attitude all ready to debug this particular pig ... and it works now. I didn't do anything.

Weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back