HOWTO - Make a BrewPi Fermentation Controller For Cheap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
After several days with struggling to get my i2c LCD to show letters instead of black squares im about to give up. Has anyone managed to get this to work??

You need to install Arduino

sudo apt-get install arduino

Thanks, Reprogrammed fine after that.

I have another problem though. I am trying to assign my devices. After I set any device and click apply, the console shows the config has been sent but it doesn't add the device to the installed list. If I refresh it doesn't detect any installed devices.:confused:

Problem solved!!!!

Ran this command: echo -ne 'E\n' > /dev/ttyACM0

The EEPROM clear procedure I was using from the arduino site here just wasn't doing the trick I thought it was. I ran that command, DIDN'T reflash the HEX, added a device or 2 at a time and refreshed and they came up as installed as expected. I even did a reboot to be sure, and sure enough.. Still installed! So pumped!

There's a new brewpi forum and that's where I found the solution:

https://community.brewpi.com/t/detected-devices-cannot-be-installed/295

Thanks everyone for the effort and moral support with this :mug:

Where do I run this code from? When I run it from the LXT it seems to do nothing, I just get the prompt.

I tried running
sudo apt-get install screen

first, then
echo -ne 'E\n' > /dev/ttyACM0

still nothing.

I have zero linux knowledge

Its fine now, just required a reboot. Thanks for the help folks.

[*]Your done! If you try going to Http://YourBrewPiWebSite.com/admin.php it will now ask you for a password and take you to the "Full BrewPi site". But if you go to http://YourBrewPiWebSite.com it will take you to the "Public Site" without the need for a password.
[*]Also make sure obviously that if you want to access this from the external world that your RPI is port forwarding properly through your router.
[/LIST]

So I went through the steps in the post titled "External Public & Private BrewPi webpage" by Prymal. I now have the watered-down index.php and the password-protected Admin.php, both working as expected. But they only work locally, not from an external host.

I have set up a dynamic DNS using DuckDNS.org, and I have set up my router for port forwarding. I have successfully tested the DNS mapping by putting in my domain name at http://tools.pingdom.com/ping/, and I have tested the port forwarding using PFPortChecker (see attached PNG file). So I don't know what's missing from my setup but if I go to my domain name the Chrome browser just spins and spins and eventually says:

This webpage is not available

ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

I don't think my ISP is blocking port 80 because PFPortChecker appears to be working as expected. Is there some other RPi setup I haven't done yet?

Port_Forwarding.png

Have you waited a full 24 hours. Because DNS name servers don't updated instantly and all their listings have to be forwarded and stored throughout the entirety of the Internet. After a good 12 hours you should be able to see your site if not wait a full day, allow the nsa to fully root through your history. Then if it still isn't up contact your dyn DNS provider for support.

Or just use your router's external ip address...at least for testing.

I do not use dyndns and just checked my brewery from down here in the Bahamas. Keezer is good, ferm fridge with two fresh batches percolating therein is looking good, and the carb/cold-holding fridge is happy...

Cheers! :mug:

Ok gurus, here is one for you...

I have 2 pi's and 2 brewpis (I know, I know I could combine them). I have publicbeerpanel.php on them as well as cam feeds. I have the came feeds integrated, but how could I get is all on one page. Say I want to use pi .27 as the main page, and .23 as a sub "feed" on that page.

So it would layout like this:
10.1.10.27 into broswer
gets you .27's pi
under that a cam feed ( I have that covered)
under that .23's pi and feed
all on the same page. I looked at the code, but its above my paygrade.
Could you guys help?

Thanks

You could use multiple iframes similar to the way I do. There is an example in this thread. Go to the first post and look for the link to running multiple lcd on the same screen.

You could use multiple iframes similar to the way I do. There is an example in this thread. Go to the first post and look for the link to running multiple lcd on the same screen.

When you have multiple LCDs like that, can you get to the individual brewpi pages via the webs to make changes as usual? Do you just click on the LCD of the pi of choice?

I ask because I'm looking to start plugging away at setting up another brewpi to run 2 instances via BT and RPints (if I can find all the info littered through out the threads)

Most of the necessary details for anything is in those links in the original post. And yeah you can make links just like you do on any website.

What is referenced above, fixed one of the problems I was having, thanks.

I have a new install on an EEE Box(book sized pc), genuine Arduino Rev3, and a SainSmart relay board. Built a box for it out of an old floppy disk case, used RJ-11 connectors for the sensors. The Arduino is on \dev\ttyACM0. The computer has a "full install" of Debian Wheezy, installed a week or so ago.

Thanks in Advance.
Good work, cool stuff.

When you have multiple LCDs like that, can you get to the individual brewpi pages via the webs to make changes as usual? Do you just click on the LCD of the pi of choice?

I ask because I'm looking to start plugging away at setting up another brewpi to run 2 instances via BT and RPints (if I can find all the info littered through out the threads)

Check out my page-
I have that setup almost exactly
http://taplist.noip.me

Check out my page-
I have that setup almost exactly
http://taplist.noip.me

Nice, thanks. That's what I would like to get going. I have one brewpi setup and love it. Would just like to get another set up like your to control my fermentation chamber and keezer, along with rpints.

I'm guessing your view would allow full control of the pi's.

Thanks again. It will be a while before I can get going on this but may have questions moving forward. I will do my best to read through all the posts on this prior asking though.

I encountered this error in my logs this. Any ideas on what is going on?
Mar 30 2015 06:10:37 Arduino debug message: INFO MESSAGE 17: Positive peak detected: 69.9, estimated: 70.0. Previous heat estimator: 1.117, New heat estimator: 1.117.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/brewpi/brewpi.py", line 179, in
allProcesses.update()
File "/home/brewpi/BrewPiProcess.py", line 108, in update
matching = [p for p in psutil.process_iter() if any('python' in p.name and 'brewpi.py'in s for s in p.cmdline)]
File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/psutil/_common.py", line 75, in __get__
res = instance.__dict__[self.func.__name__] = self.func(instance)
File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/psutil/__init__.py", line 242, in cmdline
return self._platform_impl.get_process_cmdline()
File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/psutil/_pslinux.py", line 353, in wrapper
raise NoSuchProcess(self.pid, self._process_name)
psutil.error.NoSuchProcess: process no longer exists (pid=24581)
Mar 30 2015 06:52:02 Another instance of BrewPi is already running, which will conflict with this instance. This instance will exit
Mar 30 2015 06:55:39 Arduino debug message: INFO MESSAGE 17: Positive peak detected: 69.9, estimated: 70.0. Previous heat estimator: 1.117, New heat estimator: 1.117.
Mar 30 2015 07:44:55 Arduino debug message: INFO MESSAGE 17: Positive peak detected: 69.9, estimated: 70.0. Previous heat estimator: 1.117, New heat estimator: 1.117.
Mar 30 2015 07:55:16 Notification: Interval changed to 3600 seconds
Mar 30 2015 07:55:18 Error: Received invalid message on socket: profileName=Shadow Ninja IPA

Thanks for all of the help you all have been giving me and everyone else on this fantastic project!!

Dave

You may need to stop that profile and start another. Or you've got a bad usb cable.

You may need to stop that profile and start another. Or you've got a bad usb cable.

I started a new profile last night. I've just finished building another BrewPi with a new USB cable. I just haven't had time to replace it. I'll do that tonight and see what happens.

Thanks for your help!

Cheers :mug:

Yes, some of us are doing RaspberryPints and BrewPi on the same RPi.
And multi-channel temperature loggers and motion sensors and musical greetings at the keezer.
Probably some more stuff I left out.

Even a lowly RPi 1 Model B can handle all that with ease.
It's real failing is the graphics engine. It's awful. And the RPi 2 uses the same engine.
So as long as you're not playing RPGs these things have plenty of power...

Cheers!

Day_tripper, you have been most helpful in the past on the Raspberry Pints boards, so first off, thank you. I'm looking at adding the BrewPi portion now. Is there anything specific I need to do, or can I just hook up the hardware and install the software portion? I'm guessing there are some other tricks that need to be done. Thanks in advance!

2Kegger

There's a bit of a "gotcha" if you use the default BrewPi installation - whether using their installation script or doing it manually. It wants to stick the web gui files in /var/www, which would land on top of the default location for Raspberry Pints web gui. With both applications having an index.php, the 'Pints version would be overwritten and thus lost.

So I install the BrewPi files in /var/www/brewpi(n) - where n is the instance id (I run multiple BrewPi instances on both my RPi systems at home). Solves the conflict...

Cheers!

Day_tripper, aren't you supposed to be on VACATION? This is just a shout out to you for helping all of these people, even when you should be relaxing in the sun.:tank:

There's a bit of a "gotcha" if you use the default BrewPi installation - whether using their installation script or doing it manually. It wants to stick the web gui files in /var/www, which would land on top of the default location for Raspberry Pints web gui. With both applications having an index.php, the 'Pints version would be overwritten and thus lost.

So I install the BrewPi files in /var/www/brewpi(n) - where n is the instance id (I run multiple BrewPi instances on both my RPi systems at home). Solves the conflict...

Cheers!

That's it? Thanks! And I'm sorry for bothering you on vacation. I hope it's someplace warm with lots of bikinis. I mean sun. Yeah. Sun. And beer. Lots of beer. :)

I apologize if this has been asked already... but I can't get my relays to click.

Some background. I had this running on a Raspberry Pi Model B, but at some point I broke the SD card slot. I had the relays working on that board no problem. I ordered a Raspberry Pi 2 and am using the same power supply. I had some issues getting the devices to stay installed, but everything appears to be setup right.

I have a room temp sensor, fridge sensor, and beer sensor. I have a chamber heater (small space heater) and chamber cooler (fridge).

The relay indicator led is lit. If a put my multimeter to the GND and IN2 (red indicator LED relay), I get 10.1 mA. I believe this is to low to activate the relay.

How can I get it higher? Should I use a different micro usb for the Raspberry PI or dedicate power to the Anrduino?

Is it in the right position. And are your devices set to the right inverted state

The jumper is set to JD-VCC to VCC .

Controller Pin 5(Act2) is set to inverted, chamber device, and is the heater - value is Inactive

Controller Pin 6(Act1) is set to inverted, chamber device, and is the cooler - value is Active and brewpi says it is cooling.

I

That's it? Thanks! And I'm sorry for bothering you on vacation. I hope it's someplace warm with lots of bikinis. I mean sun. Yeah. Sun. And beer. Lots of beer. :)

You will have to edit a file or two, but it's no big deal. There is a post of mine way back that provides a step by step manual install that points out the edits. I'd link it but digging it up from here isn't easy.

Fwiw, we're on our annual two weeks in the Carribean, and the weather is fabulous. No worries, there's breakfast and Happy Hour and Late Night to keep up with The World :)

Beer, however, ain't happening. At three-fitty for a bottle of macro lager, vs 12 bucks for a fifth of gold label rum, it's all about the fruity rum drinks...

Cheers!

[...]The relay indicator led is lit. If a put my multimeter to the GND and IN2 (red indicator LED relay), I get 10.1 mA. I believe this is to low to activate the relay. [...]

You aren't measuring current with that configuration, so "ma" isn't correct. You should be measuring volts, looking for a level approaching zero.

If the LED is lit but the corresponding relay isn't latching up, either your wiring isn't supporting the current needed to pick and hold the relay, or the module is defective. Try switching your wiring to use the other relay, if that also won't work, check your wiring...

Cheers!

When u test the 5v line of the relay what voltage is present?

You aren't measuring current with that configuration, so "ma" isn't correct. You should be measuring volts, looking for a level approaching zero.

If the LED is lit but the corresponding relay isn't latching up, either your wiring isn't supporting the current needed to pick and hold the relay, or the module is defective. Try switching your wiring to use the other relay, if that also won't work, check your wiring...

Cheers!

Thank you for your help. When I measure GND and IN2, I get 4.18 DCV and 8.2 ACV.

When I move the wire from the wire on pin 6 from the Aruduino to IN1, it lights up the IN1 relay indicator LED and no click.

This same wiring worked on my previous Raspberry Pi Model B, so I would expect it to be ok. I will go ahead and order another relay today as they are pretty cheap.

Thank you for your help. When I measure GND and IN2, I get 4.18 DCV and 8.2 ACV.

When I move the wire from the wire on pin 6 from the Aruduino to IN1, it lights up the IN1 relay indicator LED and no click.

This same wiring worked on my previous Raspberry Pi Model B, so I would expect it to be ok. I will go ahead and order another relay today as they are pretty cheap.

I'm sure you've probaly checked this already, but i had this problem with my relay and it was because i'd inadvertently plugged the relay into the 3.3v arduino pin rather the 5v, it was enough to switch the LED on but not to trigger the switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back