How's my lager going?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h22lude

Reaction score
I brewed a stella clone on 2/28/10.

mini mash .5lbs munich malt and .25lbs crystal 10L in 3/4 gallon at 160 for 45 minutes then sparge with 170 degree water bringing it to 2 gallons

4lbs extra light DME @ 60
1oz goldings @ 60
1lb extra light DME @ 20
.5oz goldings @ 20

Used S-23 yeast

OG was 1.05

Kept it at 53 to 55 degrees until today (13 days). Gravity today was 1.014. I will then bring it up to 65 degrees over the next week. After that hopefully my gravity will be 1.011 or so. Then let it lager at 40 for 6 to 8 weeks.

How does everything look so far? This is my first lager.

Looks like it is right no track. Curious how it turns out, my wife and Mother like Stella. Good Luck!

I was going to do a Stella clone this weekend, but only had time for one session. Did you do a yeast starter?

This will be my first lager so I didn't want to rush into it without doing all of my homework.

chays99 said:
I was going to do a Stella clone this weekend, but only had time for one session. Did you do a yeast starter?

This will be my first lager so I didn't want to rush into it without doing all of my homework.

No. I used dry yeast and dehydrated it. I swirled it arou.d for 20 minutes and it took right off.

Way to go on taking that next step! I'm still struggling with figuring out how to maintain the correct temps in my home to pull off a lager. Good luck with it!

Way to go on taking that next step! I'm still struggling with figuring out how to maintain the correct temps in my home to pull off a lager. Good luck with it!

I have a temp regulator for my garage fridge - if you can spare the 40 or 50 or whatever, it's worth it. but I brewed a lager this winter and the ambient air was colder than the garage, so I went with the carboy in a tub of cold water. That seemed to work just fine at keeping a colder temp. It was slightly higher than what the yeast company recommended, but the beer turned out pretty good (it was a bock).

Anyway, just a long way of saying - where there's a will there's a way. Don't get too hung up on keeping 50 degrees or whatever exactly.

Back