Howdy from Wisconsin (& an APA question)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JGF

Reaction score
Back into brewing, in no small part because it's been a good chance to hang out with my dad now that he's retired. Been brewing for about 20 years on and off, but off for a number of years until this year when I've picked it back up with my dad. Mostly brewed extract batches and just getting into all grain now with a little bit more time to do so. This week, our 2nd batch of all grain (an alt) is in the primary as well as 3 gallons of braggot that used up the last of our liquid extract. First batch was a Kolsch what just got bottled on Friday. Next week, we're making a stout.

Putting together an American Pale Ale recipe with Nelson Sauvin hops as I really wanted to try them out as I'm a fan of a few beers with them and have had the opportunity to travel to NZ for work a couple of times. I've heard that they can be overpowering if used too heavily but see conflicting recipes - some won't use more than 3/4 of an ounce others, up to 3 ounces. Any issues with using an ounce or so (0.5 oz at 10 min, 0.5 at flameout) in a 6.5% ABV APA?

Thanks and hello!

I don't love nelson sauvin hops, but that amount would be fine, depending on the rest of the recipe. They have a definite vinous or "white wine" quality to them that could be very nice at times. In large amounts, that becomes way too much.

Welcome from Burlington.

I have a Nelson Sauvin and Kohatu pale ale bubbling away now. I only had used a small portion of NS in a saison before, so wanted to really see what it can do when they are amped up. In my 7 gallon pre-boil batch I used

13g NS at 60 min
20g each NS and Kohatu at 10 min
Then at flame out racked to a bucket and added bagged 40g each NS and Kohatu, put a lid on and set it outside to cool.

That was on Christmas and it's nearly reached its target FG. I get loads of pineapple. My wife says grapefruit. So I think the Kohatu is dominating, but the hydro sample today showed delicious promise despite the yeastiness. I have some other pale ales in the keg pipeline ahead of it, so I'll wait to dryhop until close to serving time. I set vacuum packed and refroze 40g each for that.

So I went way heavier than your plans, but hedged my bets by blending with another hop. Granted Kohatu was a complete unknown to me. Looking forward to it.

Welcome, from Madtown. I wish that my job would send me to NZ...Hong Kong / China is somehow less interesting when it comes to beer.

Welcome to the group, from CO :mug:

Sorry, but I don't like people from (OK, am terribly jealous of) a state where they can easily and regularly get New Glarus. I love their beers, and met Dan @ GABF, super awesome dude.

Back