Howdy from Texas.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emissary

Reaction score
New member here. I've been an active member on another forum, but due to a change in security, my firewall doesn't like them anymore. So here I am:rockin:.

I am a very amateurish brewer, but love all things taboo. Currently experimenting with brew-in-a-bag. Flame me if you want, but it suits me fine.

Looking forward to participating on here, hope everybody has a great weekend!!

Welcome to HBT!

Brew in a Bag? What's that? the little juice pouches that my son drinks comes to mind.

Brew in a big plastic pickle bucket probably sounded just as ridiculous at one point.

Not familiar with brew in a bag.

But, welcome to the forums. I am pretty sure we can help you get going with some basic non-brew-in-a-bag techniques!

If you have any questions feel free to PM me (a fellow Texan)

"Brew in a bag" is a different twist on AG. I essentially put a giant straining bag in my brew kettle, dump all my grains/hops/adjuncts/etc. in it, then steep (mash). When my mash is complete, I lift the bag out, and it lifts all the grains/etc. out, with all water straining out through the porous material back into the brew kettle. Therefore, I do not have a mash tun, no stuck runoffs, not a lot of extra equipment laying around. It's pretty much like I do my complete conversion and boil in a huge hop bag.

The way that I practice it, it's redneck, backwoods brewing. It was primarily developed in Australia, and actually has practitioners who are very adept, and who can brew exceptionally unique beers with very good efficiencies. I do it because as a cheapskate nontraditionalist, I liked both the philosophy and the practicality of it.

I should clarify, though, that I am not an extremely practiced brewer. It's been over a year since I've brewed a batch:mad:. Being in a retail career in this economy has put a quiatus on most expenditures. Thus, I've been haunting forums, studying, and slowly putting together second-hand equipment.

"Brew in a bag" is a different twist on AG. I essentially put a giant straining bag in my brew kettle, dump all my grains/hops/adjuncts/etc. in it, then steep (mash). When my mash is complete, I lift the bag out, and it lifts all the grains/etc. out, with all water straining out through the porous material back into the brew kettle. Therefore, I do not have a mash tun, no stuck runoffs, not a lot of extra equipment laying around. It's pretty much like I do my complete conversion and boil in a huge hop bag.

The way that I practice it, it's redneck, backwoods brewing. It was primarily developed in Australia, and actually has practitioners who are very adept, and who can brew exceptionally unique beers with very good efficiencies. I do it because as a cheapskate nontraditionalist, I liked both the philosophy and the practicality of it.

I should clarify, though, that I am not an extremely practiced brewer. It's been over a year since I've brewed a batch:mad:. Being in a retail career in this economy has put a quiatus on most expenditures. Thus, I've been haunting forums, studying, and slowly putting together second-hand equipment.

If I understand, that's what a lot of people call a partial mash brew. Do you toss in a little concentrated malt extract as well?

Back