How would you split up your yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewBarron

Reaction score
OK,

I took advantage of AHS's $20 kits and found 3 kits that all will share the same yeast - White labs California Ale V WLP051. So I only bought 1 vial.

I plan on brewing (1) a weekend for 3 weeks. I have a stir plate and have created starters before with no infections. So, with all that said, would you recommend:

1. Creating a big starter (triple batch) the first time, separate into mason jars, and use them for the next 3 weeks.
2. Creating a big starter (double batch) the first time, then for the second brew, double that starter for the last batch.
3. Only use about 1/2 the yeast in the original vial and build it up from there each time.
4. And I guess #4 (yeast washing or reusing the yeast cake) is not an option since I will be brewing back to back to back and will probably not have an available yeast cake to use or wash.
5. Something I haven't thought about yet.
6. I am overthinking this and should just go back to work.

???

6).

All kidding aside... I do this all the time: Create a large starter, divide into 3 (or however many) mason jars, and build each starter up using the stir plate for each batch.

Mind you I use vials - not mason jars. I don't like the no-pressure sealing capability of mason jars.

I use these:

zivfx4.jpg

On left is a yeast soon-to-be-pitched, on right is a yeast build up (for storing in the vials):

z4l8p.jpg

M_C

Thanks M_C,

Yeah, I think you may be right. As I was typing out the post I started to think maybe I was overthinking this. I had originally thought that I may wash some yeast or just use the cake as it was, but my brewing schedule changed those plans.

Anyway, thanks for your input.

Also, fyi, your photos did not appear.

They appear fine here behind a heavy firewall... :)

Direct links:

http://i54.tinypic.com/zivfx4.jpg
http://i51.tinypic.com/z4l8p.jpg

M_C
Thanks M_C,

Yeah, I think you may be right. As I was typing out the post I started to think maybe I was overthinking this. I had originally thought that I may wash some yeast or just use the cake as it was, but my brewing schedule changed those plans.

Anyway, thanks for your input.

Also, fyi, your photos did not appear.

order your batches from light to dark color. make a starter for the first one and brew as normal. then instead of pouring the yeast out just rack the next beer on top. if your careful the inside of the carboy should stay sanitized.

That's terrible advice TipsyDragon. Pitching onto a yeast cake is the ultimate homebrewing sin.

Do whatever you're most comfortable with. Pretty much everything you've proposed is a viable option. Just figure out which one will have the least number of transfers and contamination possibilities.

I picked up the Maibock and ESB and plan on fermenting both with Pacman. I've got an aging Dead Guy right now and will wash the yeast for both batches.

Latest posts

Back