How to tell if WLP645 vial is dead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TandemTails

Reaction score
I ordered a vial of WLP645 Brettanomyces Claussenii from MoreBeer with the ice pack shipping upgrade. When the package showed up it was still slightly cool inside so I put the vial in the fridge and immediately got a starter of 800mL water and 80g DME. Once it cooled I pitched the WLP645.

It's been over 24 hours and I haven't seen any signs of fermentation. I just put it on my stir plate at the lowest speed setting to see if motion helps.

Short of taking a hydrometer sample in a few days, is there any way to really tell if it's fermenting? My normal sacc starters usually get pretty cloudy and obviously form a krausen, but I've heard brett doesn't really behave the same way.

Brett is a much slower grower than sacch. Give it a few days to a week. Warmer is faster too, perhaps as high as 80F (I've never tried it that high).

Back