How to tell if fermentation is TOO aggressive

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncoutroulis

Reaction score
This is brew number 3, so still very new to it all.

It's been 72 hours now, on this Belgian Dubbel. First 2 days not much activity at all, and now its going crazy! so much so that i had to switch to a blow off tube. there is virtually no breaks in the gurgling at al, just constant "belches" coming from the carboy.

I pitched the liquid yeast without a starter, and the temp is probably around 70 or so.

curious if it's possible to have too much activity

thanks in advance

Too much activity is usually not a problem (besides the potential mess), some strains are just more aggressive than others. Some belgian strains really tend to explode. The only possible downside, is fermentation creates heat, so the temp of the aggressively fermenting beer can be 5 to 10 degrees hotter than ambient. If your ambient is 70 degrees, you might want to throw a wet towel on it to drop it a couple of degrees so that you arent fermenting at 80.

How to tell? With a thermometer. I'd recommend measuring the actual temperature of the beer inside the vessel with a decent thermometer vs. the standard stick-on guys.

If you don't have fermentation temp control, and a batch is really going nuts, you'll probably be surprised at how warm it is inside the vessel. This will matter more with some yeasts than others. Most yeasts used for a Belgian Dubbel, it probably won't be a big deal and may even provide desired esters.

thanks guys

it seems the temp is around 74 or so. i took the blanket off the carboy ( was there to keep light out) and wrapped a small, wet towel on the carboy instead.

The good news is that a lot of Belgian yeasts like to ferment in the mid to upper 70s to get those spicy phenols. Some of the most over the top fermentations I've had were Belgians.

Be aware that many Belgian yeasts are slow to finish. Give it plenty of time. I had one that dropped 3 point between weeks 3 and 5. Patience will be rewarded.

The good news is that a lot of Belgian yeasts like to ferment in the mid to upper 70s to get those spicy phenols. Some of the most over the top fermentations I've had were Belgians.

Be aware that many Belgian yeasts are slow to finish. Give it plenty of time. I had one that dropped 3 point between weeks 3 and 5. Patience will be rewarded.

Thanks!

Seems it's slowed down to a stop now. No activity on the blow off tube. Perhaps I should switch back to the airlock? How long should I wait ?

Thanks

I'd say fermenting some, not all, Belgian strains in the 70s is the exception and not the rule. The Trappist strains should be kept in the mid 60s for at least 2-3 days. Then let them free rise to terminal gravity.

I'd say fermenting some, not all, Belgian strains in the 70s is the exception and not the rule. The Trappist strains should be kept in the mid 60s for at least 2-3 days. Then let them free rise to terminal gravity.

It's very hard to control the temperature in my house. I've kept the fermentation in the 70 range. Are you saying it should be lower? Fermentation went crazy when it was around 70-72

Thanks

It's very hard to control the temperature in my house. I've kept the fermentation in the 70 range. Are you saying it should be lower? Fermentation went crazy when it was around 70-72

Thanks

that is a true statement!

The old saying is "you're not a true homebrewer until you've mopped your ceiling!"

Too funny! I use a 1 1/4" blow off tube every time so no mess on ceiling (yet) though I have made a few bottle bombs by not properly understanding carb levels and temp adjustments early on.
Oops :off: Just wanted to share.

First thing I thought when I saw the thread title was when the lid blows off and you have krausen on your ceiling... it was too aggressive.

OP, I haven't brewed any belgians, and it seems people are saying the temps you're at aren't out of line, but either way, temp control is the gas pedal of fermentation. You can make those little buggers eat as fast or as slow as you want them to with good temp control.

Thanks

Which yeast are you using? Manufacturers information on the temperature range for the yeast is the best starting point to answer your question.

Thanks

What strain was it?

Trappist strains, IMHO, should be fermented at between 63-68. Dealers choice really. That's internal wort temperature. Remember that internal temperature may swing a handful of degrees up during vigorous fermentation.

Some of the other strains (Duvel, Achouffe, etc) specs would lead you to believe that higher temps are reasonable but beware. These Belgian strains hav a ton of character already and fermenting warm may prove unpleasant.

All bets are off with some of the farmhouse strains!

Ice and a bucket is an underrated form of temperature control. Your beer doesn't care if it's sitting in a ferm fridge or an Igloo cooler with ice so long as the temp is right.

Back