How to take reading while in Primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kooklife

Reaction score
My batch has been in primary for 3 days now and I was wondering if I just open it up and put the hydrometer in the fermented or if their is a special way to do it?

With simple sanitization practices openning the fermenter to take a reading is perfectly safe. You won't spoil your beer.

This is what I use, and it works with both buckets and carboys.

I replaced the plastic one a year ago with an extra long stainless baster from a kitchen ware store and it is awesome. But the plastic one from any grocery store works fine.

turkeybastera.jpg

And

75862_451283689066_620469066_5427695_1841038_n.jpg

Here's what I do....

1) With a spray bottle filled with starsan I spray the lid of my bucket, or the mouth of the carboy, including the bung. Then I spray my turkey baster inside and out with sanitize (or dunking it in a container of sanitizer).

2) Open fermenter.

3) Draw Sample

4) fill sample jar (usualy 2-3 turky baster draws

5)Spray bung or lid with sanitizer again

6) Close lid or bung

6) add hydrometer and take reading

It is less than 30 seconds from the time the lid is removed until it is closed again. More like 15 if you ask me.

Probably less if you have help. And unless a bird flies in your place and lets go with some poop, you should be okay.

So spray they inside of the lid with starsan? What if I used a brand new sanitized turkey baster and went in for only a couple of seconds? would I still need to spray the lid

So spray they inside of the lid with starsan? What if I used a brand new sanitized turkey baster and went in for only a couple of seconds? would I still need to spray the lid

When in doubt, sanitize.....You should never question whether or not you should sanitize something....You can't hurt your beer sanitizing, but you sure as hell can ruin it by not....No-rinse santizers are cheap, so spray em....

A turkey baster is perfect. I use a cheap one myself. Do not trust a new one straight from the package is sanitized.

I keep a pint of cheap alcohol handy for whenever I don't have any sanitizer ready. About a dollar from any chemist store. I usually use it to wipe bottles and the mouths of jars with yeast, but I have found the mouth is the perfect size for a turkey baster. I will put the baster in the bottle, as far as I can, suck alcohol up the inside, and this will sanitize both the inside and outside of the baster. Remove the baster, wipe the outside with a clean piece of paper towel, shake the baster to get as much of the alcohol out/off as possible and take my sample.

Get some alcohol on the piece of paper towel, and you can wipe seal surfaces with it before closing the bucket back up.

Back