How to sweeten my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandman24

Reaction score
Is there a way, after fermentation that I could sweeten my brew?? I dont have a batch going right, its just a discussion between two brewers that had no idea of the answer. If you add more sugers after fermentation, you would in theroy start fermentation all over again... so... how do you get more sweet after the fact with out stabilizing/killing the yeast?

Thanks as always!!

Blend it with a sweeter beer for last minute drinking.

For this reason you should also try to find a bitter beer that you can use to make one of your more bitter, just in case. ;)

You don't want to blend with another brew if you will be aging it a bit. This idea is just for a last minute party/get together.

You can blend them in a pitcher then serve.:mug:

Do a search on the forums for Lactose. You can add it in at bottling time if you want to increase sweetness.

...If you add more sugers after fermentation, you would in theroy start fermentation all over again...

if you add fermentable sugar fermentation will start. If you add non-fermentable sugars, you will sweeten the beer without fermenting it. As above, see lactose.

Make a brew that is more malty than hoppy in flavor. You need to balance the malt out with a little hops but beer on the malty side is definitely sweeter.

Yes, I am a big fan of planning in advance and use the grain bill to control final sweetness. Higher mash temp, more Crystal malt = less fermentability = equal sweeter beer.

One exception, as has already been mentioned is maybe some lactose for a milk stout.

Yes, I am a big fan of planning in advance and use the grain bill to control final sweetness. Higher mash temp, more Crystal malt = less fermentability = equal sweeter beer

Im still a little new to all grain... When you say higher temp, how high should it be... like 4 degrees higher?? most batches I've brewed have been mashed at 154. I know it depends on the base grains but should I shoot for 158, 160??

Thanks.

Im still a little new to all grain... When you say higher temp, how high should it be... like 4 degrees higher?? most batches I've brewed have been mashed at 154. I know it depends on the base grains but should I shoot for 158, 160??

Thanks.

156 is usually considered the top end for many recipes. But there are people, and even commercial breweries that mash at 160F. It's certainly doable.

Although, you shouldn't NEED to mash that high in order to create what you're looking for. In fact, the unfermentable long-chain sugars that are promoted by higher mash temps aren't actually that sweet, they do more to add body. I think you'd be better off to use a little more crystal malt.

Back