How to select a good mini fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

all_about_stouts

Reaction score
I need help selecting a mini fridge. I just want it to be big enough to fit a 5 gallon bucket, if I ever need to ferment 5 gallons.

I bought this model: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Igloo-3.2-cu.-ft.-Refrigerator-and-Freezer/15162469

But it turned out to be barely too small.

I was looking at this one: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Daewoo-4.4-cu.-ft.-Compact-Refrigerator-Black/24633716

But I'm not sure if it will be deep enough (needs to be at least 12" deep by 12" wide by around 15" tall).

Does anyone know of a refrigerator that is big enough to fit a 5 gallon bucket inside without any modification? I'm not afraid of modification. I can easily modify the one I have but I bought it brand new and it would immediately kill the resale value, in case I ever upgrade or want to sell it.

I would like it be as inexpensive as possible around the same price range and I'm only looking to spend around $150 before tax and shipping.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

The Danby mini fridge with no freezer is probably the best. They are cheap, fit 5 gallon fermenters and 2 5 gallon corny kegs with some door modifications.

The issue I found with most mini fridges is the bottom back is usually pushed into the inside to make room for the compressor, killing the amount of space available to put in a fermenter. I have yet to find a mini fridge that doesn't have this. A chest freezer seems like it might work better.

The issue I found with most mini fridges is the bottom back is usually pushed into the inside to make room for the compressor, killing the amount of space available to put in a fermenter. I have yet to find a mini fridge that doesn't have this. A chest freezer seems like it might work better.

The Danby fridge has room to fit my bucket on the bottom shelf (sits on top of the hump in the back of the fridge).

It's tight with an airlock but with a blowoff tube you're good to go.

The Danby fridge has room to fit my bucket on the bottom shelf (sits on top of the hump in the back of the fridge).

It's tight with an airlock but with a blowoff tube you're good to go.

How tall in your bucket? How much vertical clearance is there from the bottom of the shelf?

My 6.5 gal carboy is pretty tall.

Which Danby model do you have?

It's not available at this time. Thanks though. I'm probably going to have to go with the Daewoo and just risk it again. I'll be returning the other one tomorrow.

I have that fridge, and you will likely have to cut out the plastic in the door to make it fit. Also be aware that Igloo sells slightly different fridges under that model #, so you may not be able to completely remove the freezer section because of the condenser lines, check out this thread if you haven't come across it yet: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/ke...183-94679-possibly-others-364119/index10.html

Back