How to sanitize tri-clamp ball valve for wort drain.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hafmpty

Reaction score
So I got a keg with a tri-clamp ball valve. I'm going to be running my cooled (and therefore bacteria prone) wort through this into plastic tubing. I don't have a pump to run boiling wort through to sanitize the tubing and the ball valve all in one. If I soak the ball valve in sanitizing solution and hook it up to the kettle and then keep the hose in the sanitizing solution until I'm ready to drain the wort into the fermenter, will that be OK? Or is there another technique that I could/should use instead?

One other things. Does anyone know of a good post/link/web page that lists all the things that need sanitized. I know that it's everything that comes in contact with the wort post-chill but I don't want to miss anything just because I didn't think about it.

Thanks all. Really appreciate this community and all the great help.

What you're doing is fine but you can also drain a little bit of the wort through prior to chilling and dump it back into the kettle. Boiling temps do a pretty good job of killing nasties.

Never sanitized the kettle valve. I figured being an inch away from a flame for 60 minutes should do the trick.

What you're doing is fine but you can also drain a little bit of the wort through prior to chilling and dump it back into the kettle. Boiling temps do a pretty good job of killing nasties.

I do this throughout the boil.
After use, I also do a good job of cleaning out the kettle and I flush a lot of hot water through the valve, and then flush some star-san through.

Latest posts

Back