How to remove label glue from Goose Island bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Double_Eagle

Reaction score
A friend gave me a bunch of bottles and about 10 or so were Goose Island. The labels are plastic or vinyl and the glue is very sticky and will not come off using hot water and detergent like I normally use. i also tried Goof Off and it didn't help. Any suggestions on what will help remove the glue from Goose Island bottles?

I would be leary of using Goof-Off. I'd be afraid some would get in the bottle and that oily mess isn't exactly fun to clean either.

Fill the bottle with hot tap water, put bottle of hot water in a large cup and fill the cup with hot water. This heats the label from both sides to soften the glue. After it soaks a while (5 minutes or so) take a razor and start peeling a corner. Once you get a corner going you can grab it with a small pliers or channel locks and pull most of it off. Re-soak in hot water a razor blade the rest off.

Acetone (nail polish remover) works absolute wonders! I usually do an OxyClean soak to get the majority of gunk and label off then take an acetone soaked cotton ball to remove the rest.

Thanks for all the suggestions. The only thing that will cut through that nasty glue is acetone, and even that is a huge chore. If I ever get another one, I will try the heat method to see if the label and glue come off together.

For now, one bottle cleaned up, eleven in the trash.

Just today I attempted to de-label some Goose Island bottles, even after 2 weeks in PBW water they were a bastard, refused to come off clean. I did finally have some limited success with hot-water soaking, but even that was painful. No more GI just to get bottles!

Stone Brewing bottles are the same way. The plastic/vinyl labels come off quite easily, but the glue residue not so much and are too much trouble. Recycle bin.

I've mostly given up on working too hard to de-label but one thing I hadn't tried yet was a long hot PBW soak followed by a wire brush scraper. Seems to me that would do the job, maybe I'll try next time I get some of those tougher labels.

See post #4 !! Then go pick up a 12 pack of Sierra Nevada -your choice- labels almost fall off in plain water but a bit of oxyclean will have them off in minutes. Bottles with tough labels aren't worth the effort.

Cheers!

I stopped buying Goose Island because of the labels. I de-labeled two cases and now I recycle them if I come across them. Also, as a Chicagoan, I hate the fact that Goose Island's 312 (a Chicago area code) is brewed in NY.

I think I wound up just scrubbing the snot out of them with a brillo pad and a razor blade.

Another thing to try for getting the residual glue off is brake fluid. Smear it on and let it soak in for a while. Not sure that I've tried it for Goose bottles.

I find brake cleaner like Brakleen by CRC works very well removing glue residue. I wrap a piece of paper towel (just big enough to completely cover the glue) and squirt the brake cleaner on it. Allow it to soak for maybe ten seconds and most if not all the residue is gone.
One warning, you must wear gloves with this stuff, it will defat your skin. Nitrile gloves work well.
With the expense of buying these supplies it is probably cheaper to discard those bottles but if you're hell bent on using them this should work.

If you peel the label slowly enough, all the glue should come up with the label. Filling the bottle with hot water helps.

Brake fluid, brake cleaner, lighter fluid, lacquer thinner, bug & tar remover, etc. is for when there's just a little residual glue to deal with, not a whole label's worth.

Hardest labels i've come across are Heineken.
But they're plentiful here. So worth having.
I remover the labels with razor blade scraper from Auto Zone.
And soak overnight in cáustica soda solution.
Then wash with scotch brite pad.

Latest posts

Back