Bad brew Day :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edbeenbreto

Reaction score
Well I never thought id have a bad brew day but I just did over the weekend. I spent all day Sunday cleaning all of my equipment to include my plate chiller which has given me problems before. So I boiled water added some PBW to it and ran it thru my pump and plate chiller and my oh my so much gunk was in there. Next I washed everything out and loaded all my gear and took it too my friends house. We brewed and smoked some tri tip next to the pool and enjoyed the hot southern California Sun, Sounds like a great day so far until..... it came time for the mash transfer, my manifold plate came loose letting in tons of grain into my boil. Then the wind picked up now trust me when I say I don't mind some dust in my brew and that wasn't the case at all, but I am using a 26pt burner and it kept blowing my flame out so my hour long boil took way longer ( 1:30). Next I could barley achieve my boil if any at all . I know I had a decent flame and a bran new Propane tank. So I am thinking my regulator needs to be changed. ( harbor Freight Special) but still no "Rolling boil" like I always get. After Battling the flame issues I forgot to add the fruit I wanted. So then it came time to measure my gravity and my hydrometer was broken in the movement of my gear. so that sucks. And the final piece of fun when I was then trying to transfer the wort to my fermenter thru my plate chiller, due to the grain..... yup it got stuck and I could not cool my wort to pitch. So thankfully I work stupid early and get off soon so I can pitch my yeast seeing that all 10 gallons are relaxing in a ICE bath at home.

So my questions are: Seeing I didn't get my full boil and had flame issues, what issues if any can I anticipate ( flavor, fermentation lag)

Next I have made some local homebrew friends so I can see if I can use their hydrometer will that cause an issue for my readings? or is it all the same?

thank you for taking the time to read this hope it makes sense and look forward to reading response's thank you!

Well I never thought id have a bad brew day but I just did over the weekend. I spent all day Sunday cleaning all of my equipment to include my plate chiller which has given me problems before. So I boiled water added some PBW to it and ran it thru my pump and plate chiller and my oh my so much gunk was in there. Next I washed everything out and loaded all my gear and took it too my friends house. We brewed and smoked some tri tip next to the pool and enjoyed the hot southern California Sun, Sounds like a great day so far until..... it came time for the mash transfer, my manifold plate came loose letting in tons of grain into my boil. Then the wind picked up now trust me when I say I don't mind some dust in my brew and that wasn't the case at all, but I am using a 26pt burner and it kept blowing my flame out so my hour long boil took way longer ( 1:30). Next I could barley achieve my boil if any at all . I know I had a decent flame and a bran new Propane tank. So I am thinking my regulator needs to be changed. ( harbor Freight Special) but still no "Rolling boil" like I always get. After Battling the flame issues I forgot to add the fruit I wanted. So then it came time to measure my gravity and my hydrometer was broken in the movement of my gear. so that sucks. And the final piece of fun when I was then trying to transfer the wort to my fermenter thru my plate chiller, due to the grain..... yup it got stuck and I could not cool my wort to pitch. So thankfully I work stupid early and get off soon so I can pitch my yeast seeing that all 10 gallons are relaxing in a ICE bath at home.

So my questions are: Seeing I didn't get my full boil and had flame issues, what issues if any can I anticipate ( flavor, fermentation lag)

Next I have made some local homebrew friends so I can see if I can use their hydrometer will that cause an issue for my readings? or is it all the same?

thank you for taking the time to read this hope it makes sense and look forward to reading response's thank you!

Well I think the first issue is likely to be astringency from boiling that much grain. It's highly likely that this batch will be ruined IMO.

You probably also overshot your volume because of the boil issues (and therefore undershot your OG) so your ABV will be lower than intended.

hydrometers are all the same, it won't matter who's you use to take your reading as long is the yeast hasn't gone to work yet.

It's the same amount of grain every batch. Just the wind kept blowing out the flame. And wouldn't keep a steady flame either. So every time I get the boil going it will blow out. I hope it's not ruined it's for my sons b day party at the end of the month

It's the same amount of grain every batch. Just the wind kept blowing out the flame. And wouldn't keep a steady flame either. So every time I get the boil going it will blow out. I hope it's not ruined it's for my sons b day party at the end of the month

Oh, your original description said that a bunch of grain got through your manifold and ended up in the boil. If that was not the case, then I wouldn't worry too much.

Either way, don't give up on it.. Beer is forgiving

Latest posts

Back