How to properly sulphite fruit before adding

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grad

Reaction score
Hello to everyone,
I'm fairly new to mead making and have just (finally) started making very tasty mead. I'm ready to try making a melomel but have been unsure as to the best route to sulphite the fruit before primary or secondary. I once made a small batch of cider where I didn't sulphite the fruit I added and it definitely had off flavours and I had to dump it. And since honey is so pricey where I live I don't wanna have to repeat the waste. I was thinking of mixing up a gallon of water and 1 Campden tablet and the dumping some of it in the bag of previously frozen fruit, let it sit for 24 or 36 hours and then adding that to the must. Does anyone have any better procedures that have worked well for them?
Thanks in advance,
Grad

Freeze the fruit and add in the seconderry. I make a base mead and add sulphite and then add fruit or herbs. Sulphite protects your mead against oxidation and kills of wild yeast and other nasties that will produce of flavors.

Thanks for the input guys, but I'm looking to hear from someone who does sulphite the fruit before adding it. I do understand that it may not be 100% necessary, but I would like to sulphite to be 100% sure it won't throw off the batch. My plan was to buy pre frozen fruit, then when I plan on using it, open the bag and dump some sulphites water in(mix up 1/2 gallon of water and half a Campden tablet) and submerge the fruit in the water(not using all of it probably) let it sit for 24-36 hours the rack onto the fruit for secondary? Does anyone have a better way of doing it?

Potassium Sorbate protects against mold, makes yeast go dormant (it deosn't really kill them - more like a coma) and Potassium Metabisulfite (Campden tabs) protects against oxidation. You need both to really secure your wine when adding fruit. You don't say how big of a batch you are making though. Instead of diluting all the juice and flavor from the fruit by soaking it, add both K Sorb and K Meta (crush a whole tablet) to your already racked must, give it a swirl and let it sit overnight, then add your thawed fruit right to the must. If you are going to use the "fruit water" to top off the carboy, then your plan is fine.

Ok thanks for the info, much appreciated.
Grad

Back