How to properly store beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andysam

Reaction score
So, I have quite a few large events coming up in the summer (wedding, camping trips, etc...) and would like to start stock piling the beer now. However, I do not have a temp controled area to store more than 2 cases. At the liquor store they have beer not in the fridge, is this ok for homebrew? It would be in my garage where the temp can range from 50-80, maybe 90 a few days here in SoCal. is this ok if they are in bottles, in cardboard? They will not get any light.

Also, if this is ok for beer bottles, will this be ok for kegs too?

FYI, bottles and kegs will be crash cooled and force carbed, so no yeast in them (or very little)

The "range" is a bad thing. You want to store beer at 70*F or lower, if possible. That big a temperature swing will shorten the beer's drinkable life.

Do you have some kind of insulated container you can store it in? Maybe make a big foam box out of foam board?

Cpt_Kirks is dead on. I built a Foam box in my garage, it holds temp at 65* almost all summer. If its a real hot spell ill add a frozen water jug or one of those Blue ice packs. Those can keep it below 60* if i change them everyday.

Latest posts

Back