How to prepare keezer surface for chalkboard paint?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwing7486

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I just sanded down the three sides of my freezer in which I am going to paint with Chalkboard paint (picture below). I do not want the raised features from the fridge to show through the chalkboard paint. Is sanding down as I have done and adding a latex primer before painting on the chalkboard paint enough? or do I have to use some type of bondo?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bondo-Home-Solutions-1-qt-All-Purpose-Putty-PN20052/202077805

You'll have to skim it with bondo to get rid of the bumps. Test an area before you do the whole thing, not sure if the bondo will like the later primer too much.

You'll have to skim it with bondo to get rid of the bumps. Test an area before you do the whole thing, not sure if the bondo will like the later primer too much.

Kind of thinking the same thing that there would still be bumps. I was thinking if I used the bondo I wouldnt need the primer maybe? potentially could apply bondo, sand down and roll the chalkboard paint directly on top of the bondo.

If you're just trying to fill in that "orange peel" texture on the freezer, go to a store that sells auto refinishing supplies and get some glazing putty. Sometimes referred to as "spot putty." It's used to fill in very small voids and it sands out really nice. Prime and paint.

I'm not sure how much you'd need for the whole project, but a little goes a long way. It's not like Bondo; instead, you are filling in very shallow voids.

It's been a long time since I've used it, but you just apply it in thin coats with a plastic trowel. Just fill in the valleys. Let it dry and lightly sand.

I'm not sure how much you'd need for the whole project, but a little goes a long way. It's not like Bondo; instead, you are filling in very shallow voids.

It's been a long time since I've used it, but you just apply it in thin coats with a plastic trowel. Just fill in the valleys. Let it dry and lightly sand.

I need to cover 23.5 square feet.

Back