How to prepare for a wee rough ride...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got about 180 lb of grain, quarts of yeast, and a few pounds of hops (all stocked up long BEFORE the hysteria). I've got 5 full kegs and can make enough beer to get through probably the rest of the year and then some.

I'm good.

At some expense and bother, I have instituted a one vehicle per employee protocol. Will compensate those who use their own vehicles when it is more practical than sending out multiple trucks.

The crew seems happy I came up with this policy.

I've got 5 full kegs. One Maibock, an Asian Pear cider, and three German Pils. Going to brew two Helles Export batches tomorrow. That will fill all my kegs. Then I'll brew a Marzen and a Porter for bottling. After that I'll probably stop for awhile.

The issue with this situation is not just that it can kill people, it's that it is a novel virus - which means it is something the human species has NO inherent immunity to and has never encountered before. Every case is your immune system encountering something totally unique and then the race is on to see if your system is strong enough to kill it before it gets you. The countries that have been hit and gotten thru to control of the explosive spread are the ones who have successfully sweated out the lockdown period and have come out the other side with a drop in new cases to a volume that does not overrun the healthcare system's capacity to treat folks. Italy is the other side of the coin. Their case load overwhelmed the healthcare system's capacity so quickly that people who could be easily treated are dying due to lack of doctors and beds and ventilators and medicines. The morgues are full and doctors are having to make life and death decisions based on survival odds. Bad, bad scene.
We are only a few weeks away from a similar situation but on a much larger scale. If we don't chill TFO and let the infection curve level out, we are headed right where Italy is now - or worse. So you say, "This aint that bad a virus, it's just like a flu, I'm going out" and then you pick up the bug from a door handle at the MiniMart and you get infected. Then you go without symptoms for 2 weeks spreading it all around and making sure your family gets a good dose. You get a fever and a cough and after a while you get better. Then grandma who is in her 80s and Uncle Ted who just got done with chemo start coughing and can't breathe and there's no room in ICU cause 1000 other people did the same thing you did. And every 6 days the number of infected doubles. Forget how many people die of the flu. Forget how inconvenient it is and forget how many dorks horded all the TP. Stay at home. Wash your hands. Use sanitizer. Wipe down the handles and the places people touch. Wear the masks and gloves - not for you, for them. Isolate yourself if you feel ill at all. Stock up on fever medicines instead of TP. Give it long enough for us to come out the other side with a handle on things like they have done in China and Korea and Japan. This could get ugly guys. It doesn't have to, but a little stupidity can do a lot of damage and regret.

Read this:
https://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2020/03/a-covid-19-coronavirus-update-from-concerned-physicians.html

The website sucks but the article is written by doctors and is an eye-opener - and they provide the data to back it up.

*Just wanna clarify that when I say "you" I mean that collective "you" and not you you. I quoted some stuff from a conversation but I didn't necessarily get everything I was responding to. So consider it like I'm talking about that Goofus guy that always got compared with Gallant in the old Highlights mags they had at the dentist office when you were a kid.

Preach!

Compare S Korea to China’s peak infection periods. Isolation AND testing are required and S Korea knows it and us proof. Im glad governments are stepping up. Personally I could use 8 weeks of rest. I can think of sorts of things to wipe my a$$ with. My stock portfolio being one of them.

Stay calm and stay safe people.

Back