How to hop this IPA (such as it is)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedSun

Reaction score
5gal, 60% efficiency (may no sparge it and up the grains)

Pale malt(2-row) 12.5
Rye malt .5
Carahell malt .5
Crystal 40L .5
Victory malt .5
Flaked wheat .25

Yeast: WLP002

I'd like somewhere in the mid 50s to high 60s IBUs. I've never dry-hopped before but I'm game. Most of my brews are lower IBU so I could use a little advice on the style. Thanks!

-RS

Using the English Ale yeast I would asume you are headed towards the english style. In that case I would shoot a little lower in the IBU range. If your not , or just don't care, then I would definetly shoot for a hops-malt ratio of 1:1. What's your intended OG ? I usually am way over that ratio, but then again I am a HUGE Hop head.

Target OG of about 1.063, nothing too bold there. I picked the english ale yeast based on an ipa a friend made recently with it, quite good. Thought I'd give it a go.

I read an article on this site recently about big hop flavor, essentially adding most of the hops at the end of the boil, so you get big hop flavor without too much bitterness. Theoretically I like this type of beer. I recently brewed my first attempt at this, with 3/4oz kent goldings for the boil, and about 4oz of mixed hops(eight varieties) added in the last eight minutes. The air lock smell I swear was what Heaven smells like. Fermentation has only recently subsided, so I haven't tried it yet, but I have high hopes for this hopping style and if you dig big hop flavor, maybe try it out. That article is on mrmalty.com, so check it out if you please.

Back