How to control sourness?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diesel_88

Reaction score
How does one control the sourness of kombucha? Per usual practice, I've been bottling at 1 week with residual sweetness. This doesn't seem like a robust method. Are there other techniques to control the sourness of the finished product? Trying to get to something lighter and less sour which my wife might enjoy.

Sourness occurs when its fermentes too long, I had 4 jars of KT going at once and let one for just about a month. I tasted it and oh my way it bad. Also temperature could effect it as well.

I'm not entirely sure since I dont know all the players involved in kombucha fermentation but I believe acetobacter sp is responsible for the sour (acetic acid) therefore by controlling the o2 exposure you should be able to adjust the sour. The bonus would be increase alcohol content since the ethanol is not converted by the acetobacter to acetic acid. I'm just stArt to research kombucha fermentation for one of my wild ales.

Jon

Latest posts

Back