How to compensate for low efficiency?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard-SSV

Reaction score
I brewed a recipe last weekend that came from a professional brewer in which the recipe called for 85% efficiency. I didn't realize this until I had already purchased my grain and was getting ready to mash. On my best brew day I'm lucky to hit 70% efficiency, so hitting 85% wasn't going to happen.

I compensated by adding light DME to the boil. I realize that the real answer to my question is to improve my technique or equipment to increase my efficiency, but in the meantime, what is the best was to compensate low efficiency without compromising the desired results of the recipe?

In other words, if I wanted to compensate for low efficiency by increasing my grain bill instead of adding DME, would simply adding more base malt be okay or would I need to increase all grains in the bill proportionately?

I'd say in general add more base malt. It might matter more for some styles. Say, a hefe where you'd really want to keep a good 60/40, 50/50 ratio of wheat to 2-row, then increase all the grains.

CBMbrewer said:
I'd say in general add more base malt.

+1

I've had great beers turn out by only adjusting the base malt. It works for adjusting both for low and high efficiency. I typically get 75% efficiency with my equipment but a lot of recipes I use from BYO and Brewing Classic Styles are set for 60-65%.

Back