How to clean Blichmann Riptide Pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerisyummy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Who has a Blichmann Riptide?
The manual says: "After use completely disassemble the pump and soak the parts in PBW ... Then rinse the parts in hot tap water and soak the parts in StarSan. Allow the parts to air dry and reassemble the pump for storage." I use an "Exchillerator" counterflow wort chiller with my set-up. Prior to cooling, I run Star-San through the system for a couple minutes. After cooling, I run clear water through the system to rinse, then circulate cleaning solution for a couple minutes (the stuff the Exchillerator guys sell, seems similar to PBW) then clear water rinse again. I have yet to open up the pump for cleaning ... am I doing it wrong?

I was doing the same as you but at the end of my brew day. At the start I flush it with clean water before I let the hot wort sterilize the CF chiller. That was working but I found some water sits in the pump and came out a nasty color from sitting in there too long between brewdays. If its going to sit for a while you probably want to crack it open to make sure its properly dry in there.

I clean mine in place with PBW and rinse with hot water after every brew. I use the pump to move hot water to my mash tun and HLT, so any residual water that may be in there is mashed, sparged and subsequently boiled, thereby rendering it harmless. Anytime I've ever disassembled it, it's clean as a whistle, which is supposedly clean. I see no reason to disassemble it.

Very simple design to quickly disassemble, which I do after each use for cleaning. Not saying it is a must to completely disassemble, but doesn't take much time.

I use them to run PBW when I’m cleaning the kettle, though only do this every few brews based on build up of beer stone.

Whether or not I circulate cleaner, I always pull the heads and let them dry before reassembling. Like others, found that water doesn’t perfectly drain out and it’s super easy to pull the heads to inspect and let air dry.

The only place I would think could be a problem would be something getting trapped between the O ring and the body or between the washer and the body. Unlikely but...............

Hate to admit this, but the only time I ever took mine apart was when I first got it to check it out. It always gets star san run though it as part of clean up process at end of each brew day though & gets moved into shipping container I keep gear in, so probably drains mostly too.

I take mine apart every use.

Be careful with that little stainless washer - it likes to run away. I've almost lost it a few times, so I ordered several extras.

Latest posts

Back