How to boost ABV?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig C

Reaction score
New home brewer here (4 batches) and I was in my LHBS over the weekend purchasing a BB Grapefruit IPA kit and asked about how to simply boost the ABV of a kit recipe. He suggested adding 1/2 lb of corn sugar to the boil for every .05% increase in ABV. I have no reason to doubt this, but just wanted to see if most folks here would agree with this method?

Not sure about the exact increment increase in ABV per unit sugar, and certainly adding sugar is OK for a style like IPA where you want to have a nice dry finish. When added to the boil, sugar (corn or cane) does not increase the body of the beer, but rather increases ABV and gives some extra “food” for the yeast to munch on. This has the side effect of increasing ABV but also can dry out the beer a little. Option two is to purchase more dry or liquid malt extract to increase both body and ABV, but at a higher cost. A third option is to try brewers crystals, which apparently can increase body and ABV without drying out the beer.

Like I said, for an IPA, sugar is a fine way to do what you want. Just throwing the other options out there for you in the event that you have this desire with another style of beer down the road.

Assuming a 5 gallon batch; 1/2 lb of table sugar will increase the ABV approximately 0.6%. If you use DME or LME the ABV gain will slightly less due a lower sugar content and lower fermentability. Note also that DME has a bit more extract per pound than LME. Pay attention to the hopping as well. As you add extract the hop balance will change.

The Brewersfriend calculator say .5lb corn sugar ads .55% in 5.5 gallons.

It will work but it will thin out your beer and add unpleasant ethanol (alcohol/"boozy") flavors to your beer. I personally would suggest adding a yeast nutrient and a second pack of yeast, both available at your lhbs. The nutrient will help your yeast achieve full attenuation and the second pack will ensure you have enough cells to rip through the fermentation. Just add the nutrient dry in the last 10 or so mins of your boil. If you are trying to raise your OG, thereby raising your final ABV, without changing your attenuation then I would advise adding more extract instead of adding sugar. It still will help to add more yeast and a nutrient. Keep in mind what has been said above, this will then throw off your hop utilization/ibu so you then will have to add more hops to keep the final profile similar to the intended beer just higher alcohol.

I know you bought a kit and probably don't want to mess with it but as you move forward keep in mind what extract you are using. The darker the extract, the lower the fermentability. I only use Briess extract (even in my commercial brewery) and typically use their Golden Light DME (think Light DME) when I do. They advertise 75% fermentability however I typically achieve 80-85%, and that is using s-04 which typically has lower attenuation. I have heard of many people achieving 90%+ attenuation when using their Pilsen Light (think Extra Light) extract. I rarely use Muntons but anytime I have I've always had terrible attenuation with even their lightest of extract resulting in unusually low alcohol, too much residual sweetness, and too much body.

Back