How to add permanent volume markings to a kettle (illustrated)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
. I would guess that the rate of volume change probably isn't linear though, right?

Not quite linear
20C (68F) to 60C (140F) is 1.5% expansion
20C (68F) to 100C (212F) is 4% expansion

If you use an immersion chiller you might want to figure that in to your hot side markings.

You're right…touch that 9 volt battery to an exposed heart and you'll get immediate ventricular fibrillation. Hopefully THAT isn't going to happen very often!!

What is meant by across the heart is coming in the body through one arm and leaving the body through the other arm.
Don't be a smart -ass here people! A9 volt battery isn't going to do squat and I agree with this. People started posting about using power sources energized to much higher levels. Our at least having the potential to be energized at higher levels. I thought something needed to be said. I'm not an expert in electricity but I do know that it does not require a bolt of lightning or a jolt from a household power outlet to do harm. I was simply trying to make a point of safety... If you don't like it, keep your mouth shut. These smart - ass comments are not even close to constructive.

Not quite linear
20C (68F) to 60C (140F) is 1.5% expansion
20C (68F) to 100C (212F) is 4% expansion

If you use an immersion chiller you might want to figure that in to your hot side markings.

I'm also adding whole leaf hop absorption in a tiered half ounce scale as a delta relative to the hot water mark.
Ok I'm not, but please somebody build the quad-scale ubber pot and post pics. File it under "just because you can".

I'm also adding whole leaf hop absorption in a tiered half ounce scale as a delta relative to the hot water mark.
Ok I'm not, but please somebody build the quad-scale ubber pot and post pics. File it under "just because you can".

Don't forget pre and post addition of water treatment salts!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Home Brew mobile app

For me, I filled my pot 1 gallon at a time with cold water and very carefully marked a line at the edge of the water with a fine-tip sharpie. Then when I was taping off my lines I just barely covered the black line with the tape, making the bottom of my 1/8" thick etched lines the point where each volume is accurate with cold water.

I was most concerned about accuracy with cold water as I can calculate everything else based off of that, but only if I started with an accurate measure of my initial strike and sparge water.

Also, I will add the sharpie wasn't the best tool for making my initial marks because if you accidently touched the water it basically stopped working. If I do another pot I'll find something else to use.

Also, I will add the sharpie wasn't the best tool for making my initial marks because if you accidently touched the water it basically stopped working. If I do another pot I'll find something else to use.

Regular old #2 pencil works fine even under water, just don't wipe dry too hard

I just used an ice pick to scratch a small mark on the kettle at each gallon all 60 of them. I used 100 degree F water measured by volume and its close enough for making good beer consistently. As long as you have consistency thats all that matters and if I'm off by 1/2 gallon on a 40 gallon brew I'm cool with that. A bunch of different marks on my kettle would just be confusing and a waste off time for me. If my OCD kicks in and I need the actual volume at a certain temp Ill do the math based on my 100 degree baseline.

MaxOut Brewstat

My 6 year old can't stop playing with this on a piece of scrap... (supervised of course)

PLEASE be careful with the solution that is created from this process here folks - it is harmful. Period.

Here is a quick quote from someone in my homebrew club:
oxidative corrosion of the passivating chromium oxide on stainless steel can make chromate and dichromate (ie, cancertown). nickel salts aren't particularly good for you, either.

really, any stainless steel etch is going to give you a little nasty stuff in solution. you should probably collect the leftover solution... (redacted)

that being said - I am very fired up at the timing of this post, as I have just converted to keggles but not added my sight yet.
I am truly looking forward to doing this weekend!

Thank you for posting this idea - I honestly think you might have changed the actual sight glass market sales for the year already. Lol

Added 1 gallon at a time, marked with crayon, then stuck in a metal strip to transfer the marks to, traced out on tape, used a exacto and presto. Here is mine. Thanks for the idea.:rockin:

_MG_0013.jpg

_MG_0019.jpg

I CAN"T COME UP WITH A BREWERY NAME!!!!

Sorry, had to vent that after seeing the logos and names. :)

Feline Foamworks

Foamy Whiskers Brewing

Heads & Tails Brewery

Paw's Brewery

Purrfect Brewing

Snooty Cat Brewery

Cat Scratch Brewing

Cat's Meow Brewery

Cat's Pajamas Brewery

Pvssyfoot Beerworks

...or anything with one of your cat's names in it.

Hope that helps! :mug:

I did this just to have fun with it, but I'm always surprised at how obsessed brewers are with nailing volumes directly in the kettle.

I put the accuracy into my fermenter graduations, which was done with glass etching solution.

I always aim to over-boil a little bit, 90min boils accomplish that with no issue. I rack into my fermenter, take a gravity reading. If I'm over my OG a little, add the appropriate amount of distilled water to the fermenter. Makes it much easier to dial in gravity and make volume measurements in a sanitary way.

For me accuracy in the kettle is important so you know you've sparged to collect enough. Final volume would be off due the the hops added and taking up room. The temp can be corrected for. If you know the starting volume and gravity, you can calculate the ending volume based off the gravity.

As for etching fermenters, why? Do your same measuring and marking and then use a tape measure to see how high each mark is. Then you can make a spreadsheet to calculate a formula to tell you what your next batch is based on a height measurement.

Also, is everyone measuring in gallons here? Anybody go with Quarts or Liters?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

For me accuracy in the kettle is important so you know you've sparged to collect enough.

As for etching fermenters, why? Do your same measuring and marking and then use a tape measure to see how high each mark is. Then you can make a spreadsheet to calculate a formula to tell you what your next batch is based on a height measurement.

I was talking more post boil. I just find it much easier to top up to my desired gravity then trying boil exactly enough off.

Why would I want to need a computer to find my fermenter volume? Plus it's pretty.

1395451352914.jpg

Look folks, OP described a method using a fvcking Q-Tip, not a goddam pressure washer! Let's keep **** in perspective! I'd be curious to know how much of this stuff folks are producing... the final waste product, not the initial vinegar-salt solution. It can't be more than an ounce at most. So don't drink or snort it, okay? Geez!

Look folks, OP described a method using a fvcking Q-Tip, not a goddam pressure washer! Let's keep **** in perspective! I'd be curious to know how much of this stuff folks are producing... the final waste product, not the initial vinegar-salt solution. It can't be more than an ounce at most. So don't drink or snort it, okay? Geez!

And yes, EVERYTHING is harmful in California, especially the politics.

Stop marking your kettle and seek immediate spousal attention if you experience an erection lasting more than four hours. Do not mark your kettle while drinking alcohol to excess, as you may experience an unsafe drop in blood pressure or vomit on yourself. Consult your spouse before starting any home brewing project. This project is known to the state of California to cause vinegar to taste salty.

Sparky
Making beer and hard cider in Southern Virginia since 2011.

Dam I just purchased 2 sight glasses; If I only saw this two days ago I could have saved some $$.
Oh well I'm going to try this on the outside of my kegs if I can find a stencil of some Hops or a cool logo of some sort.

I like the idea of etching marks into the kettles but it's definitely not a cure-all for measuring your volumes in all cases. For those people who have multi-tiered systems with the HLT mounted up high, you're not going to climb a ladder to watch where the liquid matches up to interior volume marks. The other case is where you brew in a cold garage or outside, you're not going to be reading interior marks during the boil. Maybe it's just my New England air here, but my boil kettle looks like a volcano erupting and I can't see through the steam. I'm more likely to etch the outside of my kettles just behind the sight glass.

yea and those that can't keep it in perspective are probably turds at every house party

Stop marking your kettle and seek immediate spousal attention if you experience an erection lasting more than four hours. Do not mark your kettle while drinking alcohol to excess, as you may experience an unsafe drop in blood pressure or vomit on yourself. Consult your spouse before starting any home brewing project. This project is known to the state of California to cause vinegar to taste salty.

LMFAO! :p

I have a 12 year old daughter who's tried all kinds of hazardous things with supervision. Yes, keep the level of hazard in perspective; don't blow it out of proportion. It's a yucky chemical solution, not nuclear waste.

I just wanted to say thank you for the great idea. I etched my kettle over the weekend and I'm very happy with the results. I'm never at a lack of something to do if I'm not brewing, keeping up with all of the DIY projects posted here!

Feline Foamworks

Foamy Whiskers Brewing

Heads & Tails Brewery

Paw's Brewery

Purrfect Brewing

Snooty Cat Brewery

Cat Scratch Brewing

Cat's Meow Brewery

Cat's Pajamas Brewery

Pvssyfoot Beerworks

...or anything with one of your cat's names in it.

Hope that helps! :mug:

Ha ha ha ha. My cats name huh? Ok.
Sullivan Percival Fluffytoes lll Brewery. The beer is cat-tastic!

Or maybe Litterbox Nuggets Brewery. Hairball........something.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Home Brew mobile app

It got smelly up in here. I think I'll unsubscribe now, thanks for ruining another thread.

I'd say it's a fantastic thread with lots of great information, ideas and photos, and a few of the usual derailments. I'll definitely refer back when I want to do some etching. Thanks OP and others! :beer:

Where's everybody finding the sticker stencils for the numbers?

when i asked the supervisor at michaels, she showed me her stencil section. however, it wasn't in that section. there's a glass etching section that's somewhere else in the store. that's where i found mine.

when i asked the supervisor at michaels, she showed me her stencil section. however, it wasn't in that section. there's a glass etching section that's somewhere else in the store. that's where i found mine.

Same at Hobby Lobby. Go to where glass etching, stained glass, and clay modeling supplies are kept. They aren't with the other stencils in paper craft.

Back