How to add jalapeno to beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rev2010

Reaction score
In the future I will be making a Watermelon Jalapeno Wheat beer. I don't care what you think of it so please don't post if you just want to say how disgusting you think it will be. I've gotten on watermelon jalapeno margarita kick recently and am going to do this.

So I have the watermelon wheat base figured out. I just want a light spice to it, I don't want it to be very spicy but I definitely want it there and not hidden. I see when they make the margarita's they just crush some jalapeno's but I would prefer to add the jalapeno at kegging time rather than fermentation to retain the fresh spice notes. I know this can be searched up on here and I did but there is just soooo much to read though I figured it easier to post and ask. Thanks in advance! Oh, and 5 gallon batch size by the way.

Rev.

I have a jalapeño beer fermenting right now. I just cut them in half, removed the white meat and seeds and roasted in the oven until charred, then removed the charred skin and put in the freezer on the bases that freezing will burst the cell walls just like fruit to help release more flavor. Then just tossed into the fermenter frozen.

Depends how much flavor and heat you want. I find 4 large peppers to be sufficient. I would halve them all then take the seeds out of two. You can then char them in the toaster over if you want. I would and them to secondary when you add your watermelon purée

Depends how much flavor and heat you want. I find 4 large peppers to be sufficient. I would halve them all then take the seeds out of two. You can then char them in the toaster over if you want. I would and them to secondary when you add your watermelon purée

So is it necessary to toast them? When they are added to margaritas they just crush them up and out them in the drink. What's the difference between toasting and not toasting them? Also, how long should they rest in there for? Btw, I wasn't planning to add the watermelon juice to the beer until right before kegging. Having used fruit before I don't like that the yeast eat all the sugars as it leaves a tart taste. I figured the beer would cool fairly quickly which would stop the yeast from eating too much of the sugars.

Rev.

I just did a watermelon wheat and I added about .75 gallon (1/2 melon) of purée to secondary for 5days at 60 degrees. It is a watermelon bomb in my opinion but my wife loves it.

As for the peppers toasting them gives them a slight smoky flavor which is barely noticed. I think it is primarily for killing potential bugs.
When I do my jalapeño raspberry wheat I leave the peppers in for 5-7 days or till the raspberries turn white.

You could just toss them in primary as well.

Ive always added peppers to the fermentor. I keg, so after the base beer was done, I transferred to a keg, bagged my peppers, and suspended them in the keg for a few days. Then pulled the bag, carbed, and served. You should be able to do the same in the carboy/fermentation bucket. I would just wait until fermentation is complete.

For the record, I never charred my peppers. The most common pepper I use is Anehiem chile peppers. Ive thrown in jalapenos and habenaros in as well.

In the future I will be making a Watermelon Jalapeno Wheat beer. I don't care what you think of it so please don't post if you just want to say how disgusting you think it will be. I've gotten on watermelon jalapeno margarita kick recently and am going to do this.

So I have the watermelon wheat base figured out. I just want a light spice to it, I don't want it to be very spicy but I definitely want it there and not hidden. I see when they make the margarita's they just crush some jalapeno's but I would prefer to add the jalapeno at kegging time rather than fermentation to retain the fresh spice notes. I know this can be searched up on here and I did but there is just soooo much to read though I figured it easier to post and ask. Thanks in advance! Oh, and 5 gallon batch size by the way.

Rev.

I'm with you, watermelon jalapeno margs are fantastic. Had one at margaritaville the other day.

I'm going to add Jalepeno pepper to a pale ale recipe I'm making soon. As far as freezing the deseeded/deveined peppers, how long can they stay frozen without ruining them? I ask because I'll probably have two or three other recipes to brew before the pale ale. Is 2 months too long? I wouldn't think so but better to ask, I think. Thanks!

I'm going to add Jalepeno pepper to a pale ale recipe I'm making soon. As far as freezing the deseeded/deveined peppers, how long can they stay frozen without ruining them? I ask because I'll probably have two or three other recipes to brew before the pale ale. Is 2 months too long? I wouldn't think so but better to ask, I think. Thanks!

Should be fine, most vegetables are good for 8-12months frozen.

I've brewed a belgian wit with raspberries and jalapenos several times and it's always a hit. I add 1 medium sized jalapeno per gallon of beer. I basically remove the seeds, puree and add after primary fermentation is just about finished. I don't do anything to treat the jalapenos, like boiling, etc...I just add directly to beer and let sit for two weeks before carbing.

When drinking, you'll definitely get jalapeno on the nose, but the actual flavor profile is very nuanced with a touch of spiciness and no noticeable heat.

Hope this helps and happy brewing...

I've made a Fire In Your Hole beer where it is a Mexican cervesa and once I added a whole pepper to each bottle, nice heat but a lot of it, and the other time I roasted the whole pepper on the grill then almost made a purée from the whole pepper and strained it. Nice flavor there as well but not asich heat, I used 4 peppers in 5 gallons mashed

Just an update. I took the jalapeños out at day 12 bc I was getting no heat just jalapeño flavor, so I added 1 habanero pepper roasted with the seeds for 2 days which gave me the heat I was looking for.

Back