how to add a spacer to bottom of auto siphon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srl135

Reaction score
Anyone got a tried and true method? my auto siphon always sinks down into the yeast cake and i end up with a second yeast cake in my secondary... seems like the problem is easily fixed with some sort of rod or extender from the bottom of the cap to keep the auto siphon off the bottom of the bucket. before i tried anything i wanted to see if there are any tried and true methods on here?

I use a big binder clip around the tube and it rests on the top of the bucket to keep mine elevated off the trub. I have to hold it for the last two gallons, so not ideal.

Wow, even with the cap on the end of it? That's at least 3/4". Maybe overpitching? ;)

I've had this problem in the past as well. I will either hold or use a small clamp that I got at Home Depot. Although, I have heard tell of people using a stainless steel scrubby at the end of the racking cane/auto siphon.

Even if you didn't get into the yeast cake during siphoning, isn't there a fair amount of yeast in solution that will continue to settle out, producing a yeast layer on the bottom of the secondary bucket ? Seems like you'll never get it all out.

NRS

i dont use one, but can you ziptie a plastic or steel rod to extend down further?

if it's acrylic, glue on another piece with acrylic solvent

I got these things called hands. They allow me to hold a precise location, yet have the flexibility for on the fly adjustment. :p

I have a pair of those too.. They seem to work really well with a pair of things they call 'eyes'... Guiding them with this mystery item they refer to as the 'brain'... :eek:

If you're using a carboy, the center of the bottom is raised... Although I've always had good results just guiding the auto-siphon tube in the brew and I need to go lower. Towards the end, I usually tilt the primary a bit to get as much as I can, without picking up the yeast cake...

I do find that if you primary longer (and not secondary except when it's actually doing something to your benefit) the yeast cake/trub will be more compacted. Thus, you'll actually get MORE brew into bottles.

IrregularPulse said:
I got these things called hands. They allow me to hold a precise location, yet have the flexibility for on the fly adjustment. :p

+1 to that. I stand there and hold it for the full 5 gallons. Much more precise that way. I just put on a brewing network podcast and watch the beer siphon away.

duct-tape.jpg

lol, hands? whoa! Wish i could use something like those! LOL just checking to see if there was a better way to do that... in a white bucket siphoning out 5 gallons, the beer is rather dark so i cant see the bottom. granted with the last two gallons i could probably babysit it and improve my process, but it seems like there is some invention already that would remedy that.

No i doubt im over pitching, i get recipes from my LHBS and the yeast is measured per 5 gallons.

Yeah well I need my hands to stir the boil pot so it doesn't boil over. I always brew and bottle on the same day.

Even if you didn't get into the yeast cake during siphoning, isn't there a fair amount of yeast in solution that will continue to settle out, producing a yeast layer on the bottom of the secondary bucket ? Seems like you'll never get it all out.

NRS

This is the case for me.

What he said. I picked one up recently. It's nice to be able to clip it on and be free to do other things...

Nice clip. Way better than using a binder clip. I have never seen one exactly like it, but i have limited shopping experience. Where did you get it?

I've seen them at the LHBS too... Just not needed to get one since I don't ferment in buckets. Not sure if they would do so well with carboys... I do know that I don't need anything to hold the auto-siphon with a corny keg... :rockin:

Nice clip. Way better than using a binder clip. I have never seen one exactly like it, but i have limited shopping experience. Where did you get it?

Got it at my LHBS. There's a bunch of online suppliers that sell them too.
cms mentioned earlier that the image was from Midwest Supplies

I've seen them at the LHBS too... Just not needed to get one since I don't ferment in buckets. Not sure if they would do so well with carboys... I do know that I don't need anything to hold the auto-siphon with a corny keg... :rockin:

I use it on glass carboys and better bottles. It might not be 100% needed in those situations but it keeps the auto siphon from getting accidently knocked sideways into the cake while I'm doing other things. An ounce of prevention...

It can also be used on the side of brew pots (once cool of course) for those people who don't have valves and use their siphon to rack into their fermenter.

yep everything from a torn off bumper, to unwanted pregnacy. (for the record, I never used it for the latter)

What he said. I picked one up recently. It's nice to be able to clip it on and be free to do other things...

Seriosuly? It takes all of 5 minutes to drain a carboy with a 1/2" AS, maybe 10 minutes with a 3/8" AS.

If you have time for other things while the carboy drains, you need a bigger hose.

Back