How old were you when you began this journey?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started when I was 29, brewed for 3 yrs, took almost 20 yrs off, I'm 51 now. I have no idea how many batches I've brewed total but I think I've brewed over a dozen batches since starting up again when AL made it legal.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

17. Parents were away on vacation and I stayed home 'earning money for college'. Made a hideous trash can brew from a kit. Drank it all. That was 30 years ago.

Started at 18 in college...sold some for money to make more, drank the rest. Took a few years off, started again, took another year off, now back at it with no plans to stop anytime soon.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Home Brew mobile app

I brewed a couple of batches 20 some odd years ago but didn't keep up with it till I picked it up again a little over a year ago at 51, I'm hooked!

33. It was over 2 years ago. My friend got me into doing extract batches and we started out doing 10 gal batches that we spilt or 2 different 5 gal batches. Now I brew without him.

I started making wine when I was 14 and started brewing beer at 18 because I couldn't buy it legally.

I was 31. Wish I had started earlier, but I suppose there wasn't much incentive seeing I drank light beer throughout most of my 20's :eek:

I've always been into beer. Even as a teenager drinking (illegally) in the 70s I was interested in good beer. Used to source a lot of European beers. They were hard to find. There was a dumpy bar in my town (White Plains, NY) that for some reason had a good selection. Thinking back I have no idea why.

I thought about brewing for years, but didn't get into it till my late 40s. My brother had a Mr. Beer kit and I tried some of his beer. It was awful, but it sparked an interest in me. I'm 52 now.

I started making wine in the early 1970's when I got out if college. After a divorce in 1976 I kind of lost interest & focused on my career, a new wife, children, etc. I had a brain hemorrhage in mid 2008 that limitedy other hobbies & my wife & kids got me into brewing about three years ago at 63. I really love it and have started winemaking again, too.

Started two months ago at age 30. Went all-grain after my second batch. About to mash my 5th beer, a belgian saison. My favorite so far has been my hefe.

At 35. Thought it would be more difficult than it is. Watched some episodes of Brew Dogs and it inspired me to jump in to it.
I'm glad I did.
I never thought I could make something that I would enjoy but also my friends would as well.
I am still at the beginners level but the potential of this hobby keeps me going and ready for the next batch.

Wow. I'm surprised that so many people started so late (well, past their early twenties anyhow). I would have thought most people here would have started much younger.

I'd like to see this thread made into a poll with age ranges.

I started at 27, though I just serious with it over the past year or so (at about age 30).

31 and it was an epic failure... because at the time I was given a kit for an IPA and had no clue what an IPA was. I thought the beer was horrible compared to the 'on the shelf' beers.

fast forward 12 years and I have rediscovered my love of the creation of beers and wines. I love making them more than drinking them. (Is there a support group for people like that??)

I first helped a roommate brew a kit from Midwest, the amber ale, back in 2005. Didn't start brewing myself until fall of 2008. I was 25.

Started last spring at 24. I can definitely say I'm hooked, spent like 6 hours on a triple decoction yesterday.

Obsession began at 17 when my dad let me try one of his IPAs...finally had the money at 25!

Started last year at the ripe ol' age of 36. I agree with some of the posters...can't understand why I didn't start earlier. Pretty sure this will be a hobby I keep. Cheers.

Started at 41. Part of my mid life crisis. Some folks get a woman, I got a fermenter. I guess I could have done worse.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

46. Just started a couple of months ago and I don't know why I waited so long. Maybe because I'm a recovering BMC drinker. Anyhoo, brewed my 4th batch yesterday and have no plans on stopping any time soon.

My wife got me a mr beer kit for Father's Day last year. Made one batch in the LBK and moved to 5 gallon batches. I was 26 then, 27 now.

Back